Quality Matters - the Expulsion of Professors and Ph.D. Student Outcomes in Nazi Germany
AbstractI investigate the effect of faculty quality on Ph.D. student outcomes. To address the endogeneity of faculty quality I use exogenous variation provided by the expulsion of mathematics professors in Nazi Germany. I find that faculty quality is a very important determinant of short and long run Ph.D. student outcomes. A one standard deviation increase in faculty quality increases the probability of publishing the dissertation in a top journal by 13 percentage points, the probability of becoming full professor by 10 percentage points, the probability of having positive lifetime citations by 16 percentage points, and the number of lifetime citations by 6.3.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0985.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
PhD students; university quality; faculty quality; Nazi Germany; dismissal of professors;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- N34 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Europe: 1913-
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2010-07-10 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2010-07-10 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey Smith, 2003.
"How Robust is the Evidence on the Effects of College Quality? Evidence From Matching,"
University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers
20033, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Black, Dan A. & Smith, J.A.Jeffrey A., 2004. "How robust is the evidence on the effects of college quality? Evidence from matching," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 99-124.
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey A. Smith, 2006. "Estimating the Returns to College Quality with Multiple Proxies for Quality," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 701-728, July.
- Scott E. Carrell & James E. West, 2008.
"Does Professor Quality Matter? Evidence from Random Assignment of Students to Professors,"
NBER Working Papers
14081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott E. Carrell & James E. West, 2010. "Does Professor Quality Matter? Evidence from Random Assignment of Students to Professors," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(3), pages 409-432, 06.
- Wendy A. Stock & T. Aldrich Finegan & John J. Siegfried, 2006.
"Attrition in Economics Ph.D. Programs,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0608, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Dominic J. Brewer & Eric R. Eide & Ronald G. Ehrenberg, 1999. "Does It Pay to Attend an Elite Private College? Cross-Cohort Evidence on the Effects of College Type on Earnings," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(1), pages 104-123.
- van Ours, J. C. & Ridder, G., 2003. "Fast track or failure: a study of the graduation and dropout rates of Ph D students in economics," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 157-166, April.
- John J. Siegfried & Wendy A. Stock, 2004. "The Market for New Ph. D. Economists in 2002," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 272-285, May.
- Fabian Waldinger, 2009.
"Peer Effects in Science - Evidence from the Dismissal of Scientists in Nazi Germany,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0910, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fabian Waldinger, 2012. "Peer Effects in Science: Evidence from the Dismissal of Scientists in Nazi Germany," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 838-861.
- Hussain, Iftikhar & McNally, Sandra & Telhaj, Shqiponja, 2009.
"University Quality and Graduate Wages in the UK,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4043, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dominic J. Brewer & Eric Eide & Ronald G. Ehrenberg, 1996. "Does It Pay To Attend An Elite Private College? Cross Cohort Evidence on the Effects of College Quality on Earnings," NBER Working Papers 5613, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Does faculty quality matter for PhDs?
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2010-08-06 14:23:00
- Evidence on how the quality of professors matter
by Kevin Denny in Geary Behaviour Centre on 2010-07-26 16:10:00
- Hillel Rapoport & Andreas Steinmayr & Christoph Trebesch & Toman Omar Mahmoud, 2013.
"The Effect of Labor Migration on the Diffusion of Democracy: Evidence from a Former Soviet Republic,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
1320, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Toman Omar Mahmoud & Hillel Rapoport & Andreas Steinmayr & Christoph Trebesch, 2013. "The Effect of Labor Migration on the Diffusion of Democracy: Evidence from a Former Soviet Republic," CESifo Working Paper Series 4389, CESifo Group Munich.
- Toman Omar Mahmoud & Hillel Rapoport & Andreas Steinmayr & Christoph Trebesch, 2013. "The Effect of Labor Migration on the Diffusion of Democracy: Evidence from a Former Soviet Republic," Kiel Working Papers 1869, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Mahmoud, Toman Omar & Rapoport, Hillel & Steinmayr, Andreas & Trebesch, Christoph, 2014. "The Effect of Labor Migration on the Diffusion of Democracy: Evidence from a Former Soviet Republic," IZA Discussion Papers 7980, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mevlude Akbulut Yuksel & Mutlu Yuksel, 2013.
"The Long-Term Direct and External Effects of Jewish Expulsions in Nazi Germany,"
HiCN Working Papers
154, Households in Conflict Network.
- Akbulut-Yuksel, Mevlude & Yuksel, Mutlu, 2011. "The Long-Term Direct and External Effects of Jewish Expulsions in Nazi Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5850, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.