Bonds Transaction Services and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Implications for Equilibrium Determinacy
AbstractWe introduce two bonds in a standard New-Keynesian model to study the role of segmentation in bond markets for the determinacy of rational expectations equilibria. We use a strongly-separable utility function to model short-term bonds providing transaction services for the purchase of consumption goods. Long-term bonds, instead, provide the standard services of store of value. We obtain a fully analytical solution for the bond pricing kernel, allowing to endogenize the term spread within the model. In this way, we study equilibrium determinacy properties within a context embedding the full information derived from term structure of interest rates. Our results show that, when utility is weakly separable between consumption and bonds, the Taylor principle holds only conditional to a non-linear relation between output and inflation targeting coefficients of monetary policy rule. Achieving solution determinacy requires to constraint policy coefficients to lie within bounds depending on structural parameters of the model. This paper provides an analytical setting useful for several generalizations to address the stability properties in dynamic models including the term structure of interest rates, induced by policy rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna in its series Working Papers with number wp821.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lubik, Thomas A. & Marzo, Massimiliano, 2007.
"An inventory of simple monetary policy rules in a New Keynesian macroeconomic model,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 15-36.
- Thomas Lubik & Massimiliano Marzo, 2003. "An Inventory of Simple Monetary Policy Rules in a New Keynesian Macroeconomic Model," Economics Working Paper Archive 500, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Andrés, Javier & López-Salido, J David & Nelson, Edward, 2004.
"Tobin's Imperfect Asset Substitution in Optimizing General Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2004. "Tobin's imperfect asset substitution in optimizing general equilibrium," Working Papers 2004-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bullard, James & Mitra, Kaushik, 2002.
"Learning about monetary policy rules,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1105-1129, September.
- Marzo, Massimiliano & Zagaglia, Paolo, 2008.
"Determinacy of interest rate rules with bond transaction services in a cashless economy ,"
Research Discussion Papers
24/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Marzo, Massimiliano & Zagaglia, Paolo, 2008. "Determinacy of Interest Rate Rules with Bond Transaction Services in a Cashless Economy," Research Papers in Economics 2008:7, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Leeper, Eric M., 1991. "Equilibria under 'active' and 'passive' monetary and fiscal policies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 129-147, February.
- Harrison, Richard, 2012. "Asset purchase policy at the effective lower bound for interest rates," Bank of England working papers 444, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.