The Importance of Being Consulted
AbstractDoes management consulting facilitate the access to credit for start-ups? This paper tries to answer the question by developing a theoretical framework where a firm applies for a bank loan to implement a risky project. The probability of success increases if the firm exerts a costly managerial extra-effort, but the bank is unable to observe such an effort: a moral hazard problem may therefore occur. During an economic downturn the project’s expected profitability is likely to be low relatively to the effort cost. In this case we find that credit is granted only if the bank hires a management consultant, even when the latter does not improve the business practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna in its series Working Papers with number 712.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-09-18 (Banking)
- NEP-CTA-2010-09-18 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-PPM-2010-09-18 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandra Del Boca & Michele Fratianni & Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2008.
"The Phillips Curve and the Italian Lira, 1861-1998,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
8, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Del Boca, Alessandra & Fratianni, Michele & Spinelli, Franco & Trecroci, Carmine, 2010. "The Phillips curve and the Italian lira, 1861-1998," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 182-197, August.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Michele Fratianni & Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2008. "The Phillips Curve and the Italian Lira, 1861-1998," Working Papers 2008-05, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Michele Fratianni & Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2009. "The Phillips curve and the Italian lira, 1861-1998," Working Papers 0908, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Martin Meier & Enrico Minelli & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2009. "Competitive Markets with Private Information on Both Sides," Working Papers 0917, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- FEDELE, Alessandro & MANTOVANI, Andrea, 2004.
"Complementarity, coordination, and credit,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alessandro Fedele & Andrea Mantovani, 2008. "Complementarity, Coordination, and Credit," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(2), pages 230-253, June.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1997.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy Clark & Iain Mangham, 2004. "From Dramaturgy to Theatre as Technology: The Case of Corporate Theatre," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-59, 01.
- Kay Mitusch & Roland Strausz, . "Mediators and Mechanism Design: Why Firms Hire Consultants," Papers 005, Departmental Working Papers.
- Winand Emons, 1997.
"Credence Goods and Fraudelent Experts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(1), pages 107-119, Spring.
- Chiara Dalle Nogare & Matteo Galizzi, 2011.
"The political economy of cultural spending: evidence from Italian cities,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 203-231, August.
- Chiara Dalle Nogare & Matteo M Galizzi, 2008. "The Political Economy of Cultural Spending: Evidence from Italian Cities," Working Papers 0818, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Amit, Raphael & Brander, James & Zott, Christoph, 1998. "Why do venture capital firms exist? theory and canadian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 441-466, November.
- Forges, Francoise M, 1986.
"An Approach to Communication Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1375-85, November.
- Forges, F., 1984. "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1984035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- F. Forges, 2010. "An Approach to Communication Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 516, David K. Levine.
- FORGES, Françoise, . "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -721, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Thomas Armbrüster, 2004. "Rationality and Its Symbols: Signalling Effects and Subjectification in Management Consulting," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(8), pages 1247-1269, December.
- Laura Levaggi & Rosella Levaggi, 2007. "Regulation Strategies for Public Service Provision," Working Papers 0707, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Robin Fincham, 1999. "The Consultant-Client Relationship: Critical Perspectives on the Management of Organizational Change," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 335-351, 05.
- Nancy Huyghebaert & Linda M. Van de Gucht, 2007. "The Determinants of Financial Structure: New Insights from Business Start-ups," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 101-133.
- Dominique Demougin & Oliver Fabel, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and the Division of Ownership in New Ventures," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 111-128, 03.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.