The impact of immigration on the employment and wages of native workers
AbstractWe analyze the impact of the immigration influx that took place during the years 2000-2007 in Greece on labor market outcomes. We employ a search and matching framework that allows for skill heterogeneity and differential unemployment income (search cost) between immigrants and natives. Within such a framework, we .find that skilled native workers, who complement immigrants in production, gain in terms of both wages and employment. The effects on unskilled native workers, who compete with immigrants, on the other hand, are ambiguous and depend first on the presence of a statutory minimum wage and second on the way that this minimum wage is determined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 160.
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Immigration; Search and Matching; Unemployment; Skill-heterogeneity; Minimum Wage; Greek Economy.;
Other versions of this item:
- Chassamboulli, Andri & Palivos, Theodore, 2013. "The impact of immigration on the employment and wages of native workers," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PA), pages 19-34.
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2013-10-18 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-LAB-2013-10-18 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2013-10-18 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-MIG-2013-10-18 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andri Chassamboulli & Theodore Palivos, 2014.
"A Search‐Equilibrium Approach To The Effects Of Immigration On Labor Market Outcomes,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 111-129, 02.
- Andri Chassamboulli & Theodore Palivos, 2012. "A Search-Equilibrium Approach to the Effects of Immigration on Labor Market Outcomes," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 17-2012, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Chassamboulli, Andri & Palivos, Theodore, 2012. "A Search-Equilibrium Approach to the Effects of Immigration on Labor Market Outcomes," MPRA Paper 43297, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Demoussis & N. Giannakopoulos & S. Zografakis, 2010. "Native-immigrant wage differentials and occupational segregation in the Greek labour market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(8), pages 1015-1027.
- Matthew Lowe & Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, 2012. "The Public and Private MPK," DEGIT Conference Papers c017_021, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Ben-Gad, Michael, 2004. "The economic effects of immigration--a dynamic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1825-1845, July.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong Yip, 2010. "Illegal immigration in a heterogeneous labor market," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(1), pages 21-47, September.
- Daniel J. Henderson, 2009.
"A Non-parametric Examination of Capital-Skill Complementarity,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(4), pages 519-538, 08.
- Henderson, Daniel J., 2008. "A Nonparametric Examination of Capital-Skill Complementarity," IZA Discussion Papers 3865, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Derek Laing & Theodore Palivos & Ping Wang, 2001.
"The Economics of "New Blood","
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0132, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Kai Christoffel & Keith Kuester & Tobias Linzert, 2009.
"The Role of Labor Markets for Euro Area Monetary Policy,"
Kiel Working Papers
1513, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Christoffel, Kai & Kuester, Keith & Linzert, Tobias, 2009. "The role of labor markets for euro area monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 908-936, November.
- Christoffel, Kai & Kuester, Keith & Linzert, Tobias, 2009. "The role of labor markets for euro area monetary policy," Working Paper Series 1035, European Central Bank.
- Kai Christoffel & Keith Kuester & Tobias Linzert, 2009. "The role of labor markets for Euro area monetary policy," Working Papers 09-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Laing, Derek & Palivos, Theodore & Wang, Ping, 1995. "Learning, Matching and Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 115-29, January.
- Liu, Xiangbo, 2010. "On the macroeconomic and welfare effects of illegal immigration," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2547-2567, December.
- John Duffy & Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, 2004.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity? Evidence from a Panel of Countries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 327-344, February.
- Chris Papageorgiou & John Duffy & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, . "Capital-Skill complementarity? Evidence from a Panel of Countries," Departmental Working Papers 2003-12, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Pérez Sebastián & John Duffy, 2002. "Capital-Skill Complementarity? Evidence From A Panel Of Countries," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- George J. Borjas, 2003.
"The Labor Demand Curve is Downward Sloping: Reexamining the Impact of Immigration on the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
9755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas, 2003. "The Labor Demand Curve Is Downward Sloping: Reexamining The Impact Of Immigration On The Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1335-1374, November.
- David H. Autor & William R. Kerr & Adriana D. Kugler, 2007. "Does Employment Protection Reduce Productivity? Evidence From US States," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 189-217, 06.
- Michael Ben-Gad, 2008.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity and the Immigration Surplus,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), pages 335-365, April.
- Michael Ben-Gad, 2006. "Capital-Skill Complementarity and the Immigration Surplus," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_047, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Theodore Palivos & Jianpo Xue & Chong K. Yip, 2011. "Illegal Immigration, Factor Substitution and Economic Growth," Discussion Paper Series 2011_10, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Jun 2011.
- Kyprianos Prodromidis & Prodromos Prodromidis, 2008. "Returns to education: the Greek experience, 1988-1999," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(8), pages 1023-1030.
- Ortega, Javier, 2000. "Pareto-Improving Immigration in an Economy with Equilibrium Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 92-112, January.
- George J. Borjas & Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008. "Imperfect Substitution between Immigrants and Natives: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 13887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.