The bank lending channel revisited
AbstractA central proposition in research on the role that banks play in the transmission mechanism is that monetary policy imparts a direct impact on deposits and that deposits, insofar as they constitute the supply of loanable funds, act as the driving force of bank lending. This paper argues that the emphasis on policy-induced changes in deposits is misplaced. A reformulation of the bank lending channel is proposed that works primarily through the impact of monetary policy on banks' balance sheet strength and risk perception. Such a recasting implies, contrary to conventional wisdom, that greater reliance on market-based funding enhances the importance of the channel. The framework also shows how banks, depending on the strength of their balance sheets, could act either as absorbers or amplifiers of shocks originiating in the financial system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 297.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
systemic risk; Macroprudential regulation; Portfolio distress loss; Credit default swap; Dynamic conditional correlation;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-04-17 (Banking)
- NEP-MON-2010-04-17 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicholas Apergis & Stephen M. Miller & Effrosyni Alevizopoulou, 2012.
"The Bank Lending Channel and Monetary Policy Rules for European Banks: Further Extensions,"
2012-10, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Apergis & Stephen M. Miller & Effrosyni Alevizopoulou, 2012. "The Bank Lending Channel and Monetary Policy Rules for European Banks: Further Extensions," Working Papers 1204 Classification- G21,, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Ruth Reyes Nidia & José Eduardo Gómez & Jair Ojeda Joya, 2013. "Bank Lending, Risk Taking, and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: New Evidence for Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 010860, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
BIS Working Papers
268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Ivo Arnold & Clemens Kool & Katharina Raabe, 2011. "Industry Effects of Bank Lending in Germany," Working Papers 11-21, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Marcela T. Laiz & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2010. "Financial Stability and Monetary Policy - The case of Brazil," Working Papers Series 217, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012.
"The Risk-Taking Channel in Colombia Revisited,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009313, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha López & Fernando TenjO & Héctor Zárate, 2013. "Credit Cycles, Credit Risk and Countercyclical Loan Provisions," Borradores de Economia 788, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ekin Ayse Ozsuca & Elif Akbostanci, 2012. "An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 1208, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
- Kapan, Tümer & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013. "Balance sheet strength and bank lending during the global financial crisis," Discussion Papers 33/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ruth Reyes Nidia & José Eduardo Gómez G. & Jair Ojeda Joya, 2013. "Bank Lending, Risk Taking, and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: New Evidence for Colombia," Borradores de Economia 772, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Diana Bonfim & Carla Soares, 2013. "Is there a risk-taking channel of monetary policy in Portugal?," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Uluc Aysun & Ralf Hepp, 2011. "Identifying the balance sheet and lending channels of monetary transmission: A loan-level analysis," Working Papers 2011-01, University of Central Florida, Department of Economics.
- Xiong , Qiyue, 2013. "The role of the bank lending channel and impacts of stricter capital requirements on the Chinese banking industry," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva, 2012.
"Money, reserves, and the transmission of monetary policy: Does the money multiplier exist?,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 59-75.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2010. "Money, reserves, and the transmission of monetary policy: does the money multiplier exist?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-41, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- TÃ¼mer Kapan & Camelia Minoiu, 2013. "Balance Sheet Strength and Bank Lending During the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Stan du Plessis, 2012. "Assets matter: New and old views of monetary policy," Working Papers 16/2012, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.