International portfolio rebalancing and exchange rate fluctuations in Thailand
AbstractWe present empirical evidence that the Thai exchange rate is driven in part by international investors' cross-border portfolio rebalancing decisions. Our results are based on two comprehensive, daily-frequency datasets of foreign exchange and equity market capital flows undertaken by nonresident investors in Thailand in 2005 and 2006. We find that net purchases of Thai equities by nonresident investors lead to an appreciation of the Thai baht. In addition, higher returns in the Thai equity market relative to a reference stock market are associated both with net sales of Thai equities by these investors and with a depreciation of the Thai baht. Foreign investors do not appear to hedge the foreign exchange risk related to their equity market positions. Despite this, we find that exchange rate movements were not key drivers of nonresident investors' equity market investment choices in our sample period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 287.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
foreign exchange market; capital flows; Thailand; equity market; nonresident investors; portfolio rebalancing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2009-09-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2009-09-05 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert N. McCauley, 2012.
"Risk-on/risk-off, capital flows, leverage and safe assets,"
Public Policy Review,
Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 8(3), pages 281-298, August.
- McCauley, Robert, 2013. "Risk-On/Risk-Off, Capital Flows, Leverage and Safe Assets," Journal of Financial Perspectives, EY Global FS Institute, vol. 1(2), pages 145-154.
- Robert N McCauley, 2012. "Risk-on/risk-off, capital flows, leverage and safe assets," BIS Working Papers 382, Bank for International Settlements.
- McCauley, Robert N., 2013. "Risk-On/Risk-Off, Capital Flows, Leverage, and Safe Assets," ADBI Working Papers 405, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Robert N. McCauley, 2013. "Risk-On/Risk-Off, Capital Flows, Leverage, and Safe Assets," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23390, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Robert N. McCauley, 2013. "Risk-On/Risk-Off, Capital Flows, Leverage, and Safe Assets," Finance Working Papers 23390, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hans Jørgen Tranvåg & Dagfinn Rime, 2012.
"The Flows of the Pacific: Asian foreign exchange markets through tranquility and turbulence,"
Working Paper Series
12412, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Dagfinn Rime & Hans Jørgen Tranvåg, 2012. "The Flows of the Pacific: Asian foreign exchange markets through tranquility and turbulence," Working Paper 2012/01, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.