Exchange Rate Pass-Through in the Global Economy
AbstractThis paper estimates export and import price equations for 40 countries – including 19 emerging market economies (EMEs) – and aims to understand heterogeneity across countries in the degree of exchange rate pass-through to import and to export prices. Results indicate that (i) the elasticities of trade prices are sizeable in EMEs, and higher on average than in advanced economies for export prices; (ii) such elasticities are primarily influenced by macroeconomic factors; (iii) export and import price elasticities tend to be strongly correlated across countries; (iv) lower exchange rate pass-through in the United States, compared to other advanced economies, can be related to the geographical distribution of U.S. imports, more heavily concentrated in countries with high elasticity of export prices. Overall, these results yield an enhanced understanding of exchange rate pass-through, emphasizing the role of external factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 424.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
emerging market economies; exchange rate pass-through; terms of trade.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2013-03-09 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2013-03-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-MON-2013-03-09 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2013-03-09 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ehsan U. Choudhri & Dalia Hakura, 2012. "The Exchange Rate Pass -Through to Import and Export Prices," IMF Working Papers 12/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Belke, Ansgar & Beckmann, Joscha & Verheyen, Florian, 2013.
"Exchange rate pass-through into German import prices - a disaggregated perspective,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79855, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Joscha Beckmann & Florian Verheyen & Ansgar Belke, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into German Import Prices – A Disaggregated Perspective," ROME Working Papers 201306, ROME Network.
- Joscha Beckmann & Ansgar Belke & Florian Verheyen, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-through into German Import Prices – A Disaggregated Perspective," Ruhr Economic Papers 0427, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Dées, Stéphane & Burgert, Matthias & Parent, Nicolas, 2008.
"Import price dynamics in major advanced economies and heterogeneity in exchange rate pass-through,"
Working Paper Series
0933, European Central Bank.
- Stephane Dees & Matthias Burgert & Nicolas Parent, 2013. "Import price dynamics in major advanced economies and heterogeneity in exchange rate pass-through," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 789-816, October.
- Stephane Dees & Matthias Burgert & Nicolas Parent, 2008. "Import Price Dynamics in Major Advanced Economies and Heterogeneity in Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Working Papers 08-39, Bank of Canada.
- Raphael Anton Auer, 2012.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Domestic Competition, and Inflation: Evidence from the 2005/08 Revaluation of the Renminbi,"
2012-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Raphael Auer, 2011. "Exchange rate pass-through, domestic competition and inflation -- evidence from the 2005/08 revaluation of the Renminbi," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 68, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Raphael A. Auer, 2012. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Domestic Competition, and Inflation: Evidence from the 2005/08 Revaluation of the Renminbi," CESifo Working Paper Series 3759, CESifo Group Munich.
- David Hargreaves & Elizabeth Watson, 2011. "Sudden stops, external debt and the exchange rate," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 74, pages 1-11, December.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2013.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices under Different Exchange Rate Regimes,"
53209, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajmund MIRDALA, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences Quarterly, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(4), pages 466-, December.
- Rajmund Mirdala, 2014. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices under Different Exchange Rate Regimes," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1070, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Paul Welfens, 2012.
"Marshall-Lerner condition and economic globalization,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 191-207, June.
- Paul J.J. Welfens, 2009. "Marshall-Lerner Condition and Economic Globalization," EIIW Discussion paper disbei168, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Jimborean, Ramona, 2013.
"The exchange rate pass-through in the new EU member states,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 302-329.
- Jimborean, R., 2011. "The Exchange Rate Pass-Through in the New EU Member States," Working papers 341, Banque de France.
- Cozmanca, Bogdan-Octavian & Manea, Florentina, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Romanian Price Indices. Avar Approach,"
Journal for Economic Forecasting,
Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 26-52, September.
- Cozmanca,Bogdan-Octavian & Manea, Florentina, 2009. "Exchange rate pass-through into Romanian price indices. A VAR approach," Working Papers of Macroeconomic Modelling Seminar 092102, Institute for Economic Forecasting.
- Bogdan Cozmanca & Florentina Manea, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Romanian Price Indices: A VAR Approach," Advances in Economic and Financial Research - DOFIN Working Paper Series 34, Bucharest University of Economics, Center for Advanced Research in Finance and Banking - CARFIB.
- Mutuc, Maria Erlinda M. & Pan, Suwen & Hudson, Darren, 2011. "Sino-U.S. Price Transmission in Agricultural Commodities: How Important are Exchange Rate Movements?," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103459, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Siok Kun, Sek, 2009. "The impacts of economic structures on the performance of simple policy rules in a small open economy," MPRA Paper 25065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Christine Petit-Djemad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.