Optimal Portfolio Allocation under Asset and Surplus VaR Constraints
AbstractIn this paper we propose an approach to Asset Liability Management of various institutions, in particular insurance companies, based on a dual VaR constraint for the asset and the surplus. A key ingredient of this approach is a flexible modelling of the term structure of interest rates leading to an explicit formula for the returns of bonds. VaR constraints on the asset and on the surplus also take tractable forms, and graphical illustrations of the impact and of the sensitivity of these constraints are easily explicited in terms of various parameters: share of stocks, duration and convexity of the bonds on the asset and liability sides, expected return and volatility of the asset...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 251.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Asset Liability Management; interest rates; Asset VaR constraint; Surplus VaR constraint; Optimal Portfolio.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, Philippe & Askenazy, Philippe & Bourlès, Renaud & Cette, Gilbert & Dromel, Nicolas, 2007.
"Education, Market Rigidities and Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3166, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Bardos, M. & Jardet, C. & Kendaoui, L. & Moquet , J., 2009.
"Macro stress testing with a macroeconomic credit risk model: Application to the French manufacturing sector,"
238, Banque de France.
- Bardos, Mireille & Moquet, Jeremy & Kendaoui, Ludovic & Jardet, Caroline & Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi, 2009. "Macro stress testing with a macroeconomic credit risk model : Application to the French manufacturing sector," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11161, Paris Dauphine University.
- Darné, Olivier & Ferrara, Laurent, 2009.
"Identification of slowdowns and accelerations for the euro area economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7376, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Darné & Laurent Ferrara, 2011. "Identification of Slowdowns and Accelerations for the Euro Area Economy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(3), pages 335-364, 06.
- Darné, O. & Ferrara, L., 2009. "Identification of slowdowns and accelerations for the euro area economy," Working papers 239, Banque de France.
- Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume & Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi, 2009.
"Comportement du banquier central en environnement incertain,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5490, Paris Dauphine University.
- Sanvi Avouyi-Dovi & Jean-Guillaume Sahuc, 2009. "Comportement du banquier central en environnement incertain," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(1), pages 119-142.
- Jean-Guillaume Sahuc & Sanvi Avouyi-Dovi, 2007. "Comportement du banquier central en environnement incertain," Documents de recherche 07-05, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Sahuc, J-G., 2009. "Comportement du banquier central en environnement incertain," Working papers 241, Banque de France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.