A spatio-temporal analysis of agricultural prices: An application to Colombian data
AbstractThis paper studies whether the geographical separation of markets constitutes a factor that helps explain the dynamics of agricultural prices. To do this, we employ a highly disaggregated dataset for Colombia that consists of weekly observations on wholesale prices for 18 agricultural products traded in markets scattered around the country. The sample period spans for almost a decade. According to our results, which are based on generalised impulse response functions, distance (and thus transportation costs) is a factor that helps explain the speed at which prices adjust to shocks in other locations, thus confirming that price adjustments take longer for markets farther apart.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 734.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Price analysis; market integration; agriculture; Colombia. Classification JEL: O18; Q13; R12.;
Other versions of this item:
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2012. "A spatio-temporal analysis of agricultural prices: An application to Colombian data," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009996, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Col - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engel, Charles & Rogers, John H, 1996.
"How Wide Is the Border?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1112-25, December.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christine H. Williams & Ronald A. Bewley, 1993. "Price Arbitrage Between Queensland Cattle Auctions," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(1), pages 33-55, 04.
- Ana Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2011.
"Testing the law of one price in food markets: evidence for Colombia using disaggregated data,"
Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 269-284, April.
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2008. "Testing the law of one price in food markets: evidence for Colombia using disaggregated data," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005102, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Goldberg, PK & Verboven, Frank, 2005.
"Market integration and convergence to the Law of One Price: evidence from the European car market,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/99322, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi K. & Verboven, Frank, 2005. "Market integration and convergence to the Law of One Price: evidence from the European car market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 49-73, January.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2926, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goldberg, P & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "Market integration and convergence to the law of one price : evidence from the European car market," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/224071, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Frank Verboven, 2001. "Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market," NBER Working Papers 8402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Morshed, A.K.M. Mahbub & Ahn, Sung K. & Lee, Minsoo, 2006. "Price convergence among Indian cities: A cointegration approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1030-1043, December.
- Baba, Chikako, 2007. "Price dispersion across and within countries: The case of Japan and Korea," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 237-259, June.
- Goletti, Francesco & Babu, Suresh, 1994. "Market liberalization and integration of maize markets in Malawi," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 11(2-3), pages 311-324, December.
- Williams, Christine H. & Bewley, Ronald A., 1993. "Price Arbitrage Between Queensland Cattle Auctions," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(01), April.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Thomas J. Grennes & Christine McCurdy, 1999. "Spatial price dynamics and integration in russian food markets," Journal of Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 157-193.
- Seong, Byeongchan & Mahbub Morshed, A.K.M. & Ahn, Sung K., 2006. "Additional sources of bias in half-life estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 2056-2064, December.
- DeJong, David N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N. E. & Whiteman, Charles H., 1992. "The power problems of unit root test in time series with autoregressive errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 323-343.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.