Spatial price dynamics and integration in russian food markets
AbstractThis paper evaluates dynamic elements of spatial market linkages for several important food commodities in the Russian Federation. We argue that delivery lags and other impediments to regional commodity trade may delay price responses. Standard regression and cointegration tests that compare contemporaneous price linkages in a short-run setting may not be flexible enough to address integration in such a setting. As an alternative, we complement conventional time-series tests of spatial integration with an analysis of dynamic responses to price shocks. The results provide tempered support for spatial integration, especially in retail markets. However, the results suggest that, because of gradual adjustments to price shocks, integration may occur mainly in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 3 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2004. "The Evolution of Cross-Region Price Distribution in Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-716, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Liefert, William M., 2005.
"Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Price Gaps,"
14592, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2002.
"Market Integration in Russia During the Transformation Years,"
116, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2003. "Market integration in Russia during the transformation years," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 411-434, 09.
- Conway, Patrick, 1999. "Privatization and Price Convergence: Evidence from Four Markets in Kyiv," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 231-257, June.
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2012.
"A spatio-temporal analysis of agricultural prices: An application to Colombian data,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009996, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ana Maria Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2012. "A spatio-temporal analysis of agricultural prices: An application to Colombian data," Borradores de Economia 734, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Osborne, Stefan, 2001. "Measurement And Testing For Neutrality Of Foreign Price And Cpi Transmission In Russia," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20625, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2006. "Price Linkages of Russian Regional Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp839, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2010.
"Price convergence and market integration in Russia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp999, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2011. "Price convergence and market integration in Russia," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 160-172, March.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2006. "Russia’s common market takes shape: Price convergence and market integration among Russian regions," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.