The Impact of News on the Exchange Rate of the Lira and Long-Term Interest Rates
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impact of news on several Italian financial variables, paying particular attention to the effect on the conditional volatility of these variables. The analysis spans a period of great financial and political turbulence in Italy, including the rapid succession of three governments. News releases (articles on political and economic events collected daily from both the Italian and international economic press) are classified as unscheduled (mostly political) and scheduled (i.e. economic and monetary statistics whose announcement is expected by market participants). The analysis is divided into two phases: first, we estimate the impact of each single political and economic news item on asset price changes and their conditional variance; second, those items that are identified as significant in the first stage are then aggregated into six dummies according to their nature and origin and employed as exogenous variables in a trivariate Garch scheme. Results show that i) news affects both the first and the second moment of the daily changes in the analyzed variables; ii) there is a significant regime shift of the unconditional variance of the analyzed variables across the three different governments; iii) the conditional variances display a significant Â— albeit rather small Â— seasonal dayweek pattern; iv) contrary to the conventional view, the impact of news on the conditional variance is more pronounced for exchange rates than for Italian long-term interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 358.
Date of creation: Oct 1999
Date of revision:
News; Asset pricing; Conditional volatility;
Other versions of this item:
- Fornari, Fabio & Monticelli, Carlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Tivegna, Massimo, 2002. "The impact of news on the exchange rate of the lira and long-term interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 611-639, August.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Takatoshi Ito & V. Vance Roley, 1986.
"News from the U.S. and Japan: which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?,"
Research Working Paper
86-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Roley, V. Vance, 1987. "News from the U.S. and Japan : Which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 255-277, March.
- Takatoshi Ito & V. Vance Roley, 1986. "News from the U. S. and Japan: Which Moves the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate?," NBER Working Papers 1853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A., 1988. "Economic news, exchange rates and interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 23-35, March.
- Taimur Baig & Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Financial Market Contagion in the Asian Crisis," IMF Working Papers 98/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1996.
"Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Management: Tequila Lessons,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 207-23, July.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1996. "Capital flows and macroeconomic management: tequila lessons," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 96-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ederington, Louis H & Lee, Jae Ha, 1993. " How Markets Process Information: News Releases and Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1161-91, September.
- Hogan, Ked & Melvin, Michael & Roberts, Dan J., 1991. "Trade balance news and exchange rates: Is there a policy signal?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1, Supple), pages S90-S99, March.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Fabio Fornari & Antonio Mele, 2001. "Volatility smiles and the information content of news," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 179-186.
- Ederington, Louis H. & Lee, Jae Ha, 1996. "The Creation and Resolution of Market Uncertainty: The Impact of Information Releases on Implied Volatility," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(04), pages 513-539, December.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Mulherin, J Harold, 1994. " The Impact of Public Information on the Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 923-50, July.
- Mensi, Walid & Beljid, Makram & Boubaker, Adel & Managi, Shunsuke, 2013.
"Correlations and volatility spillovers across commodity and stock markets: Linking energies, food, and gold,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 15-22.
- Mensi, Walid & Beljid, Makram & Boubaker, Adel & Managi, Shunsuke, 2013. "Correlations and volatility spillovers across commodity and stock markets: Linking energies, food, and gold," MPRA Paper 44395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pearce, Douglas K. & Solakoglu, M. Nihat, 2007. "Macroeconomic news and exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 307-325, October.
- Ferhan Salman, 2005. "Information, Capital Gains Taxes & New York Stock Exchange," Working Papers 0513, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Stracca, Livio, 2009. "Does it pay to have the euro? Italy’s politics and financial markets under the lira and the euro," Working Paper Series 1064, European Central Bank.
- Kitamura, Yoshihiro & Akiba, Hiroya, 2006. "Information arrival, interest rate differentials, and yen/dollar exchange rate," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 108-119, January.
- Ferraguto, G. & Pagano, P., 2000.
"Endogenous Growth with Intertemporally Dependent Preferences,"
382, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Ferraguto Giuseppe & Pagano Patrizio, 2003. "Endogenous Growth with Intertemporally Dependent Preferences," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-40, November.
- Giuseppe Ferraguto & Patrizio Pagano, 2000. "Endogenous Growth with Intertemporally Dependent Preferences," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 382, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Olcay Yucel Culha & Fatih Ozatay & Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2006. "The Determinants of Sovereign Spreads in Emerging Markets," Working Papers 0604, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2011. "A survey of announcement effects on foreign exchange volatility and jumps," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 361-385.
- Hassan, Syed Aun & Malik, Farooq, 2007. "Multivariate GARCH modeling of sector volatility transmission," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 470-480, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.