The Behaviour of the Dollar and Exchange Rates in Europe: Empirical Evidence and Possible Explanations
AbstractThe analysis of the day-by-day evolution of currency markets often emphasises the relationship between the behaviour of the US dollar and that of the exchange rates between the other major currencies, in particular the tendency of EMS currencies to appreciate vis-Ã -vis the DM in periods of dollar strength. In this paper we systematically analyse this relationship. In particular, we examine the extent to which it has changed in the last ten years, a span of time that included a period without realignments in the EMS, the crisis of the System, the suspension of the lira’s participation in the ERM and the withdrawal of the pound, the “widened” band for the other currencies, and the re-entry of the lira. We also suggest a possible explanation for this relationship and find supporting empirical evidence for it: we show that the reactions of each bilateral exchange rate to shocks to the value of the dollar are related to the different orientation of monetary and exchange-rate policies in the various European countries, and that these differences are consistent with the potential effects of variations in the exchange rates vis-Ã -vis the dollar and the DM on each country’s rate of inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 328.
Date of creation: Feb 1998
Date of revision:
exchange rate; Europe; fundamentals; forecast;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:inseep:9645 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Mayshar, Joram, 1983. "On Divergence of Opinion and Imperfections in Capital Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 114-28, March.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1995.
"Federal Reserve interest rate targeting, rational expectations, and the term structure,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1995. "Federal Reserve interest rate targeting, rational expectations, and the term structure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 245-274, April.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1985.
"The Implications of Mean-Variance Optimization for Four Questions in International Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
1617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1986. "The implications of mean-variance optimization for four questions in international macroeconomics," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1, Supple), pages S53-S75, March.
- Haldane, A G & Hall, S G, 1991. "Sterling's Relationship with the Dollar and the Deutschemark: 1976-89," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 436-43, May.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1992.
"A Reconsideration of the Uncovered Interest Parity Relationship,"
NBER Working Papers
4113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1994. "A reconsideration of the uncovered interest parity relationship," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 105-132, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.