A Modified P*-Model of Inflation Based on M1
AbstractThis paper examines the performance of M1 in an indicator model of inflation over time horizons as long as 16 quarters into the future. The central conclusion of the paper is that, in addtion to the output gap, the cumulative growth of M1 and the deviations of M1 from its long-run path provide "distant-early-warning" information about the future path of inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 96-15.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
ECONOMIC MODELS; INFLATION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pecchenino, R. A. & Rasche, Robert H., 1990.
"P* type models: Evaluation and forecasts,"
International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 421-440, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- David E. Laidler, 1988.
"Taking Money Seriously,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 687-713, November.
- Laidler, D., 1988. "Taking Money Seriously," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics 8804, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Armour, J. & Atta-Mensah, J. & Engert, W. & Hendry, S., 1996. "A Distant-Early-Warning Model of Inflation Based on M1 Disequilibria," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 96-5, Bank of Canada.
- Scott Hendry, 1995. "Long-Run Demand for M1," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 9511001, EconWPA.
- John A. Tatom, 1990. "The P-star approach to the link between money and prices," Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis 1990-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chong, Yock Y & Hendry, David F, 1986. "Econometric Evaluation of Linear Macro-Economic Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 671-90, August.
- Milbourne, Ross D, 1987. "Re-examining the Buffer-Stock Model of Money," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 130-42, Supplemen.
- Joseph Atta-Mensah, 1996. "The Empirical Performance of Alternative Monetary and Liquidity Aggregates," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 9601001, EconWPA.
- Jeffrey J. Hallman & Richard D. Porter & David H. Small, 1989. "M2 per unit of potential GNP as an anchor for the price level," Staff Studies 157, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hallman, Jeffrey J & Porter, Richard D & Small, David H, 1991. "Is the Price Level Tied to the M2 Monetary Aggregate in the Long Run?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 841-58, September.
- Liam P. Ebrill & Steven M. Fries, 1991. "Broad Money Growth and Inflation in the United States," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 736-750, December.
- Becsi, Zsolt & Duca, John V., 1994.
"Adding bond funds to M2 in the P-Star model of inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 143-147, October.
- Zsolt Becsi & John V. Duca, 1994. "Adding bond funds to M2 in the P-star model of inflation," Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas 9401, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1990. "Inflation and the growth rate of money," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jan, pages 2-11.
- Hogan, Seamus & Marianne Johnson & ThÃ©rÃ¨se LaflÃ¨che, 2001. "Core Inflation," Technical Reports, Bank of Canada 89, Bank of Canada.
- Tödter, Karl-Heinz, 2002. "Monetary indicators and policy rules in the P-star model," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ahmad Tashkini, 2006. "The P-star Model in Iran (1960-2005)," Iranian Economic Review, Economics faculty of Tehran university, vol. 11(1), pages 115-122, winter.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique LÃ³pez Enciso & Luis Fernando Melo velandia, 1999.
"La InflaciÃ³n Desde Una Perspectiva Monetaria : Un Modelo P* Para Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003028, BANCO DE LA REPÃšBLICA.
- Martha Misas & Enrique LÃ³pez & Luis Fernando Melo, . "La InflaciÃ³n desde una Perspectiva Monetaria: Un Modelo P* para Colombia," Borradores de Economia 133, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.