The Quantity of Money and Monetary Policy
AbstractThe relationships among the quantity theory of money, monetarism and policy regimes based on money-growth and inflation targeting are briefly discussed as a prelude to an exposition of alternative views of money’s role in the transmission mechanism of monetary policy. The passive-money view treats the money supply as an endogenous variable that plays no role in that mechanism. In contrast the active-money view, while recognizing money’s endogeneity, nevertheless treats it as having causative significance for the behaviour of output and inflation. It is argued that the active view is more plausible, on both theoretical and empirical grounds. It is further suggested that, notwithstanding the effects of institutional change in the Canadian financial system on the stability of relationships involving the quantity of money, the active view implies the desirability of the Bank of Canada’s paying more systematic attention than it now does to the behaviour of monetary aggregates, particularly narrow ones, in the design and implementation of monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 99-5.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Monetary aggregates; Monetary policy framework; Transmission of monetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P.D. Jonson & E.R. Moses & C.R. Wymer, 1976. "A Minimal Model of the Australian Economy," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp7601, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Carr, Jack & Darby, Michael R., 1981.
"The role of money supply shocks in the short-run demand for money,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 183-199.
- Jack Carr & Michael R. Darby, 1977. "The Role of Money Supply Shocks in the Short-Run Demand for Money," UCLA Economics Working Papers 098, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jack Carr & Michael R. Darby, 1980. "The Role of Money Supply Shocks in the Short-Run Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 0524, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, James & Ireland, Jonathan, 1990.
"Buffer stocks, credit, and aggregation effects in the demand for broad money: Theory and an application to the U.K. personal sector,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 349-376.
- James Davidson & Jonathan Ireland, 1990. "Buffer stocks, credit, and aggregation effects in the demand for broad money: theory and an application to the U.K. personal sector," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 349-385.
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996.
"Is There a Role for Monetary Aggregates in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
5845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Estrella, Arturo & Mishkin, Frederic S., 1997. "Is there a role for monetary aggregates in the conduct of monetary policy?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-304, October.
- St-Amant, P. & van Norden, S., 1997. "Measurement of the Output Gap: A Discussion of Recent Research at the Bank of Canada," Technical Reports 79, Bank of Canada.
- Lyle E. Gramley & Samuel B. Chase, Jr., 1965. "Time deposits in monetary analysis," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 1380-1406.
- S. Hendry & G-J. Zhang, 1999.
"Liquidity Effects and Market Frictions,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
29, Netherlands Central Bank.
- David E. Laidler, 1988.
"Taking Money Seriously,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 687-713, November.
- Coletti, D. & Hunt, B. & Rose, D. & Tetlow, R., 1996. "The Bank of Canada's New Quarterly Projection Model. Part 3 , the Dynamic Model : QPM," Technical Reports 75, Bank of Canada.
- Gravelle, Toni, 1996.
"What Is Old Is New Again,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 64(4), pages 388-404, December.
- Soderlind, P. & Vredin, A., 1994.
"Applied Conintegration Analysis in the Mirror of Macroeconomic Theory,"
584, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Soderlind, Paul & Vredin, Anders, 1996. "Applied Cointegration Analysis in the Mirror of Macroeconomic Theory," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 363-81, July-Aug..
- Söderlind, Paul & Vredin, Anders, 1994. "Applied Cointegration Analysis in the Mirror of Macroeconomic Theory," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 30, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Söderlind, Paul & Vredin, Anders, 1995. "Applied Cointegration Analysis in the Mirror of Macroeconomic Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 1120, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charles Freedman, 1981. "Monetary Aggregates as Targets: Some Theoretical Aspects," NBER Working Papers 0775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fung, Ben Siu-cheong & Kasumovich, Marcel, 1998. "Monetary shocks in the G-6 countries: Is there a puzzle?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 575-592, October.
- Lane, Timothy D, 1990. "Costly Portfolio Adjustment and the Short-run Demand for Money," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(3), pages 466-87, July.
- Engert, Walter & Selody, Jack, 1998. "Uncertainty and Multiple Paradigms of the Transmission Mechanism," Working Papers 98-7, Bank of Canada.
- Hahn, F H, 1971. "Professor Friedman's Views on Money," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 61-80, February.
- Boyer, Russell S, 1978. "Optimal Foreign Exchange Market Intervention," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1045-55, December.
- Duguay, Pierre & Longworth, David, 1998. "Macroeconomic models and policy making at the bank of canada," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 357-375, July.
- Scott Hendry, 1995. "Long-Run Demand for M1," Macroeconomics 9511001, EconWPA.
- Joseph Atta-Mensah, 1996. "The Empirical Performance of Alternative Monetary and Liquidity Aggregates," Macroeconomics 9601001, EconWPA.
- Holtemöller, Oliver, 2002. "Money and prices: An I(2) analysis for the euro area," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,12, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Mohammad Alauddin, 2003.
"Demand for M2 in Developing Countries: An Empirical Panel Investigation,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
158, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Mohammad Alauddin, 2003. "Demand for M2 in Developing Countries: An Empirical Panel Investigation," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 149, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Ulrich Fritsche & Felix Marklein, 2001.
"Leading Indicators of Euroland Business Cycles,"
- Jordan Kjosevski, 2013. "The determinants and stability of money demand in the Republic of Macedonia," Zbornik radova Ekonomskog fakulteta u Rijeci/Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics, University of Rijeka, Faculty of Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 35-54.
- Abbas Valadkhani, 2008. "Long- and Short-Run Determinants of the Demand for Money in the Asian-Pacific Countries: An Empirical Panel Investigation," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 9(1), pages 77-90, May.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003.
"Does the stock of money have any causal significance?,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(225), pages 113-136.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003. "Does the stock of money have any causal significance?," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(225), pages 113-136.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2002. "Does The Stock of Money Have Any Causal Significance," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_363, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hideo Hayakawa & Hiroshi Ugai, 2001. "Why did prices in Japan hardly decline during the 1997-98 recession?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 139-173 Bank for International Settlements.
- Sean Collins & Clive Thorp & Bruce White, 1999. "Defining money and credit aggregates: theory meets practice," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, June.
- Michael Bordo & Anna J. Schwartz, 2006. "David Laidler on Monetarism," NBER Working Papers 12593, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2006. "What Determines the Demand for Money in the Asian-Pacific Countries? An Empirical Panel Investigation," Economics Working Papers wp06-11, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- David Laidler, 2003. "Monetary Policy without Money: Hamlet without the Ghost," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20037, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Fassil Fanta, 2012. "Macroeconomic uncertainty, excess liquidity and stability of money demand (M3) in Australia," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(4), pages 325-344.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Acaravci, Ali, 2008. "The Demand for Money in Transition Economies," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(2), pages 35-43, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.