Evidence on the complex link between infrastructure and regional growth
AbstractMost studies analysing the infrastructure impact on regional growth show a positive relationship between both variables. However, the public capital elasticity estimated in a Cobb-Douglas function, which is the most common specification in these works, is sometimes too big to be credible, so that the results have been partially desestimated. In the present paper, we give some new advances on the real link between public capital and productivity for the Spanish regions in the period 1964-1991. Firstly, we find out that the association for both variables is smaller when controlling for regional effects, being industry the sector which reaps the most benefits from an increase in the infrastructural dotation. Secondly, concerning to the rigidity of the Coo-Douglas function, it is surpassed by using the variable expansion method. The expanded functional form reveals both the absence of a direct effect of infrastructure and the fact that the link between infrastructure and growth depends on the level of the existing stock (threshold level) and the way infrastructure is articulated in its location relative to other factors. Finally, we analyse the importance of the spatial dimension in infrastructure impact, due to spillover effects. In this sense, the paper provides evidence of the existence of spatial autocorrelation processes that may invalidate previous results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 19.
Length: 0 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de CiÃ¨ncies EconÃ²miques. Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, Num 1-11 08034 Barcelona. Spain.
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Button, Kenneth J, et al, 1995. "Transport and Industrial and Commercial Location," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 189-206, May.
- Duffy-Deno, Kevin T. & Eberts, Randall W., 1991.
"Public infrastructure and regional economic development: A simultaneous equations approach,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 329-343, November.
- Kevin T. Duffy-Deno & Randall W. Eberts, 1989. "Public infrastructure and regional economic development: a simultaneous equations approach," Working Paper 8909, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Randall W. Eberts, 1986. "Estimating the contribution of urban public infrastructure to regional growth," Working Paper 8610, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Leah M. Cook, 1990.
"How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 11-33.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 69-112.
- Caballero, R.J. & Lyons, R.K., 1989.
"The Role Of External Economies In U.S. Manufacturing,"
1989_14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Richard K. Lyons, 1989. "The Role of External Economies in U.S. Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 3033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1996.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ciccone, A. & Hall, R.E., 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," Working Papers e-93-6, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995. "Productivity and the density of economic activity," Economics Working Papers 120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Forslund, Ulla M & Johansson, Borje, 1995. "Assessing Road Investments: Accessibility Changes, Cost Benefit and Production Effects," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 155-74, May.
- Day, Richard H. & Zou, Gang, 1994. "Infrastructure, restricted factor substitution and economic growth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 149-166, March.
- Matilde Mas & Joaquin Maudos & Francisco Perez & Ezequiel Uriel, 1996.
"Infrastructures and Productivity in the Spanish Regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 641-649.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1995. "Infrastructures And Productivity In The Spanish Regions," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J & Porter, Robert H, 1996.
"The Effect of Public Capital in State-Level Production Functions Reconsidered,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 177-80, February.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire & Robert H. Porter, 1993. "The effect of public capital in state-level production functions reconsidered," Economics Working Papers 36, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1994.
"Industrial Location and Public Infrastructure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Randall W. Eberts, 1990. "Cross-sectional analysis of public infrastructure and regional productivity growth," Working Paper 9004, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "Why has productivity growth declined? Productivity and public investment," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Enrique Lopez Bazo & Esther Vaya Valcarce & Antonio Jose Mora & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Regional economic dynamics and convergence in the european union," Working Papers in Economics 12, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Rietveld, Piet & Boonstra, Jaap, 1995. "On the Supply of Network Infrastructure: Highways and Railways in European Regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 207-20, May.
- Pinnoi, Nat, 1994. "Public infrastructure and private production measuring relative contributions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 127-148, March.
- Robert Eisner, 1991. "Infrastructure and regional economic performance: comment," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 47-58.
- Ozbay, Kaan & Ozmen-Ertekin, Dilruba & Berechman, Joseph, 2007. "Contribution of transportation investments to county output," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 317-329, July.
- Pedro R.D. Bom & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2009. "How Productive is Public Capital? A Meta-Regression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0912, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Rodríguez Vález, J. & Arias Sampedro, C., 2004. "Desbordamiento espacial de la productividad de las infraestructuras: una aplicación con fronteras estocásticas," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 1-16, Diciembre.
- Moreno, Rosina & Lopez-Bazo, Enrique & Artis, Manuel, 2002. "Public infrastructure and the performance of manufacturing industries: short- and long-run effects," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 97-121, January.
- Diego Martínez López, 2001. "Linking public investment to private investment. The case of the Spanish regions," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/04, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Rosina Moreno, 1998. "Public infrastructure, private capital and the performance of manufactures: short and long run effects," ERSA conference papers ersa98p165, European Regional Science Association.
- Rosina Moreno & Enrique LOpez-bazo & Manuel ArtIs, 2003. "On the effectiveness of private and public capital," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 727-740.
- Rosina Moreno Serrano & Enrique Lopez Bazo & Manuel Artis Ortuno, 2001. "Public infrrastructure and the performance of manufacturing industries: Short-and long-run," Working Papers in Economics 69, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Moreno, Rosina & López-Bazo, Enrique & Vaya, Esther & Artís, Manuel, 2000. "External Effects And Cost Of Production," ERSA conference papers ersa00p193, European Regional Science Association.
- Alonso-Carrera, Jaime & Freire-Serén, María Jesús & Manzano, Baltasar, 2009. "Macroeconomic effects of the regional allocation of public capital formation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 563-574, September.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Maria Jesus Freire-Seren & Baltasar Manzano, 2008. "Macroeconomic Effects From The Regional Allocation Of Public Capital Formation," CAMA Working Papers 2008-09, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias & Luis Orea, 2006. "Econometric testing of spatial productivity spillovers from public capital," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 178(3), pages 9-21, September.
- C. Alicia Avilés Zugasti & Rosario Gómez García & José Sánchez Maldonado, 2003. "Capital público, actividad económica privada y efectos desbordamiento: Un análisis por Comunidades Autónomas de los sectores Industria y Construcción en España," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 165(2), pages 25-51, June.
- Coro Chasco Yrigoyen, 2004. "Modelos De Heterogeneidad Espacial," Econometrics 0411004, EconWPA.
- Mercedes Gumbau Albert & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Pedro Cantos, 2002.
"Transport Infrastructures And Regional Growth: Evidence Of The Spanish Case,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2002-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Cantos, Pedro & Gumbau-Albert, Mercedes & Maudos, Joaquin, 2005. "Transport infrastructures and regional growth: evidence of the Spanish case," MPRA Paper 15261, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:lrk:lrkwkp:fiirs016 is not listed on IDEAS
- José Manuel González-Páramo & Diego Martínez López, . "Public Investment and Convergence in the Spanish Regions," Studies on the Spanish Economy 112, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.