Assessing Road Investments: Accessibility Changes, Cost Benefit and Production Effects
AbstractInfrastructure investment projects and programmes are generally evaluated by comparing project costs with pertinent benefits. In this paper a series of alternative national road investment programmes in Sweden are examined. Each programme is assessed in terms of expected time savings and reduced accident rates. In addition we make use of a general production function with regionally specific accessibility characteristics as arguments. With this approach, improved accessibility implies an increase of the production potential. The paper compares the value of these production effects with the value of time savings and other benefits in a standard CB-calculation. In the comparisons more than 50 alternative national investment programmes are assessed, and their degree of consistency is estimated.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 29 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gjestland, Arnstein & Thorsen, Inge & Uboe, Jan, 1999. "Some Aspects on the Intraregional spatial Distribution of Local Sector Activities," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa416, European Regional Science Association.
- Mark Burkey, 2012. "Decomposing geographic accessibility into component parts: methods and an application to hospitals," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 783-800, June.
- Adriaan Perrels, 2004.
"The Basic Service Quality Level of Transport Infrastructure in Peripheral Areas,"
335, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Adriaan Perrels, 2003. "The basic service quality level of transport infrastructure in peripheral areas," ERSA conference papers ersa03p470, European Regional Science Association.
- David MartÃn-Barroso & Juan A. NÃºÃ±ez & Francisco J. VelÃ¡zquez, 2013. "The Effect On Firms? Productivity Of Accessibility. The Spanish Manufacturing Sector," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1123, European Regional Science Association.
- Condeço-Melhorado, Ana & Gutiérrez, Javier & García-Palomares, Juan Carlos, 2011. "Spatial impacts of road pricing: Accessibility, regional spillovers and territorial cohesion," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 185-203, March.
- Ribeiro, Anabela & Silva, Jorge, 2011. "A Spatial analysis on the relation between accessibility and spatial development for Cross-border regions," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 21, pages 141-156.
- Anabela Ribeiro & Jorge Silva, 2011. "A spatial econometric analysis of cross-border accessibility and development in Portugal and Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa10p456, European Regional Science Association.
- David, Martín-Barroso & Juan Andres, Nuñez & Francisco J., Velazquez, 2013. "The efect on firms' Productivity of accessibility. The Spanish manufacturung sector," MPRA Paper 45842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Tomoyasu Tanaka, 2010. "Productivity effects and determinants of public infrastructure investment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 493-521, June.
- Rosina Moreno Serrano & Manuel Artis Ortuno & Enrique Lopez Bazo & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Evidence on the complex link between infrastructure and regional growth," Working Papers in Economics 19, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Jose da Silva Costa, 1998. "The productive role of public infrastructure: A critical review of recent literature," ERSA conference papers ersa98p95, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.