Scaling in the distribution of intertrade durations of Chinese stocks
AbstractThe distribution of intertrade durations, defined as the waiting times between two consecutive transactions, is investigated based upon the limit order book data of 23 liquid Chinese stocks listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange in the whole year 2003. A scaling pattern is observed in the distributions of intertrade durations, where the empirical density functions of the normalized intertrade durations of all 23 stocks collapse onto a single curve. The scaling pattern is also observed in the intertrade duration distributions for filled and partially filled trades and in the conditional distributions. The ensemble distributions for all stocks are modeled by the Weibull and the Tsallis $q$-exponential distributions. Maximum likelihood estimation shows that the Weibull distribution outperforms the $q$-exponential for not-too-large intertrade durations which account for more than 98.5% of the data. Alternatively, nonlinear least-squares estimation selects the $q$-exponential as a better model, in which the optimization is conducted on the distance between empirical and theoretical values of the logarithmic probability densities. The distribution of intertrade durations is Weibull followed by a power-law tail with an asymptotic tail exponent close to 3.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0804.3431.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision: Apr 2008
Publication status: Published in Physica A 387 (23), 5818-5825 (2008)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Douglas W. & Verrecchia, Robert E., 1987. "Constraints on short-selling and asset price adjustment to private information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 277-311, June.
- Ren, Fei & Gu, Gao-Feng & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2009. "Scaling and memory in the return intervals of realized volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(22), pages 4787-4796.
- Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Chen, Wei & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2009. "Detrended fluctuation analysis of intertrade durations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(4), pages 433-440.
- Ni, Xiao-Hui & Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Gu, Gao-Feng & Ren, Fei & Chen, Wei & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2010. "Scaling and memory in the non-Poisson process of limit order cancelation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(14), pages 2751-2761.
- Vladimir Filimonov & Didier Sornette, 2013. "Apparent criticality and calibration issues in the Hawkes self-excited point process model: application to high-frequency financial data," Papers 1308.6756, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2014.
- Song, Dong-Ming & Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2009. "Statistical properties of world investment networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(12), pages 2450-2460.
- Ming-Xia Li & Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wen-Jie Xie & Xiong Xiong & Wei Zhang & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2013. "Unveiling correlations between financial variables and topological metrics of trading networks: Evidence from a stock and its warrant," Papers 1308.0925, arXiv.org.
- Ren, Fei & Guo, Liang & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2009. "Statistical properties of volatility return intervals of Chinese stocks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(6), pages 881-890.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Cheong, Chongcheul & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2010. "Long memory volatility in Chinese stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(7), pages 1425-1433.
- Ruan, Yong-Ping & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2011. "Long-term correlations and multifractal nature in the intertrade durations of a liquid Chinese stock and its warrant," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(9), pages 1646-1654.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.