Unveiling correlations between financial variables and topological metrics of trading networks: Evidence from a stock and its warrant
AbstractTraders adopt different trading strategies to maximize their returns in financial markets. These trading strategies not only results in specific topological structures in trading networks, which connect the traders with the pairwise buy-sell relationships, but also have potential impacts on market dynamics. Here, we present a detailed analysis on how the market behaviors are correlated with the structures of traders in trading networks based on audit trail data for the Baosteel stock and its warrant at the transaction level from 22 August 2005 to 23 August 2006. In our investigation, we divide each trade day into 48 time windows with a length of five minutes, construct a trading network within each window, and obtain a time series of over 1,100 trading networks. We find that there are strongly simultaneous correlations between the topological metrics (including network centralization, assortative index, and average path length) of trading networks that characterize the patterns of order execution and the financial variables (including return, volatility, intertrade duration, and trading volume) for the stock and its warrant. Our analysis may shed new lights on how the microscopic interactions between elements within complex system affect the system's performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1308.0925.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-MST-2013-08-10 (Market Microstructure)
- NEP-NET-2013-08-10 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei Chen & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2008. "Scaling in the distribution of intertrade durations of Chinese stocks," Papers 0804.3431, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2008.
- Tseng, Jie-Jun & Lin, Chih-Hao & Lin, Chih-Ting & Wang, Sun-Chong & Li, Sai-Ping, 2010. "Statistical properties of agent-based models in markets with continuous double auction mechanism," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(8), pages 1699-1707.
- Plamen Ch. Ivanov & Ainslie Yuen & Boris Podobnik & Youngki Lee, 2004. "Common Scaling Patterns in Intertrade Times of U. S. Stocks," Papers cond-mat/0403662, arXiv.org.
- Jie-Jun Tseng & Sai-Ping Li & Sun-Chong Wang, 2010. "Experimental evidence for the interplay between individual wealth and transaction network," Papers 1001.3731, arXiv.org.
- Gao-Feng Gu & Wei Chen & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2007. "Empirical distributions of Chinese stock returns at different microscopic timescales," Papers 0708.3472, arXiv.org.
- Junjie Wang & Shuigeng Zhou & Jihong Guan, 2010. "Characteristics of Real Futures Trading Networks," Papers 1004.4402, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2011.
- Sun, Xiao-Qian & Cheng, Xue-Qi & Shen, Hua-Wei & Wang, Zhao-Yang, 2011. "Distinguishing manipulated stocks via trading network analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3427-3434.
- Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2010. "Complex stock trading network among investors," Papers 1003.2459, arXiv.org, revised May 2010.
- Wang, Junjie & Zhou, Shuigeng & Guan, Jihong, 2011. "Characteristics of real futures trading networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(2), pages 398-409.
- Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2010. "Complex stock trading network among investors," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4929-4941.
- G.-H. Mu & W. Chen & J. Kertész & W.-X. Zhou, 2009. "Preferred numbers and the distributions of trade sizes and trading volumes in the Chinese stock market," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 145-152, March.
- Jie-Jun Tseng & Chih-Hao Lin & Chih-Ting Lin & Sun-Chong Wang & Sai-Ping Li, 2010. "Statistical properties of agent-based models in markets with continuous double auction mechanism," Papers 1002.0917, arXiv.org.
- Xiao-Qian Sun & Xue-Qi Cheng & Hua-Wei Shen & Zhao-Yang Wang, 2011. "Distinguishing manipulated stocks via trading network analysis," Papers 1110.2260, arXiv.org.
- P. Gopikrishnan & M. Meyer & L.A.N. Amaral & H.E. Stanley, 1998. "Inverse cubic law for the distribution of stock price variations," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 139-140, July.
- F. Kyriakopoulos & S. Thurner & C. Puhr & S. W. Schmitz, 2009. "Network and eigenvalue analysis of financial transaction networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 71(4), pages 523-531, October.
- Ruan, Yong-Ping & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2011. "Long-term correlations and multifractal nature in the intertrade durations of a liquid Chinese stock and its warrant," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(9), pages 1646-1654.
- Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Chen, Wei & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2008. "Scaling in the distribution of intertrade durations of Chinese stocks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(23), pages 5818-5825.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.