Assessing the 2003 CAP Reform: Sensitivity to the Decoupling of Agenda 2000 Direct Payments
AbstractThe European Union decided in June 2003 a new reform of its farm policy with a new step toward the decoupling of farm income support instruments. Available impact studies find that this reform will reduce production incentives, substantially for beef and to a lesser extent for arable crops. All these studies assume that the Agenda 2000 arable crop direct payments are already mostly decoupled while beef premiums are much more linked to production. Our main objective in this paper is to test the sensitivity of these results to this questionable modelling of Agenda 2000 direct payments which neglects eligibility rules and land market imperfections. Our analysis reveals that the negative effects of the reform on both arable crop and beef production are not sensitive to the modelling of Agenda 2000 direct payments. On the other hand, our analysis shows that, when the eligibility rules and land market imperfections are acknowledged, the decoupling effects may be much higher on the arable crop markets than on the beef markets. Policy implications of these results are finally derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements in its series Working Papers with number 18868.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://tradeag.vitamib.com/
Common Agricultural Policy; Decoupling; Computable General Equilibrium; European Union.; International Relations/Trade; D57; Q17; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D57 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Input-Output Tables and Analysis
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. F. Bach & S. E. Frandsen & H. G. Jensen, 2000. "Agricultural and Economy-Wide Effects of European Enlargement: Modelling the Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 162-180.
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & John C. Beghin & Fengxia Dong & Amani Elobeid & Frank H. Fuller & Holger Matthey & Simla Tokgoz & Eric Wailes, 2005.
"Impact of the European Enlargement and Common Agricultural Policy Reforms on Agricultural Markets: Much Ado about Nothing? The,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
05-wp382, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & John C. Beghin & Fengxia Dong & Amani Elobeid & Frank H. Fuller & Holger Matthey & Simla Tokgoz & Eric Wailes, 2005. "Impact of the European Enlargement and Common Agricultural Policy Reforms on Agricultural Markets: Much Ado about Nothing? The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 05-wp382, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Kirwan, Barrett E., 2008.
"The Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates,"
42714, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Barrett E. Kirwan, 2009. "The Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 138-164, 02.
- Gohin, Alexandre, 2005. "The specification of price and income elasticities in computable general equilibrium models: An application of latent separability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 905-925, September.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2005. "Market Imperfections and Agricultural Policy Effects on Structural Change and Competitiveness in an Enlarged EU," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24463, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hans van Meijl & Frank van Tongeren, 2002. "The Agenda 2000 CAP reform, world prices and GATT--WTO export constraints," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 445-470, December.
- Duvivier, Romain & Gaspart, Frederic & Frahan, Bruno Henry de, 2005. "A Panel Data Analysis of the Determinants of Farmland Price: An Application to the Effects of the 1992 Cap Reform in Belgium," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24577, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Peterson, Everett B & Hertel, Thomas W & Preckel, Paul V, 1994. "A General Equilibrium Framework for the Food Marketing System," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(1), pages 37-57.
- Alexandre Gohin & Laure Latruffe, 2006. "The Luxembourg Common Agricultural Policy Reform and the European Food Industries: What's at Stake?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 175-194, 03.
- Michael J. Roberts & Barrett Kirwan & Jeffrey Hopkins, 2003. "The Incidence of Government Program Payments on Agricultural Land Rents: The Challenges of Identification," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 762-769.
- Joe Dewbre & Jes�s Ant�n & Wyatt Thompton, 2001. "The Transfer Efficiency and Trade Effects of Direct Payments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1204-1214.
- Paolo Sckokai & Jes�s Ant�n, 2005. "The Degree of Decoupling of Area Payments for Arable Crops in the European Union," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1220-1228.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.