How Valuable is On-Farm Work to Farmers ?
AbstractIn this paper, we estimate a rural household model that allows specific tastes for working on-farm and can fit the data as well as the general model of Lopez (1984). We use two samples that are matched by individual characteristics and we adopt the method for matched surveys proposed by Arellano and Meghir (1992). We replicate using French data, the empirical finding of Elhorst (1994) who gives evidence that implicit wages of on-farm family labor are significantly below off-farm wages. We then provide an estimated lower bound for preferences for on-farm work for males and females.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2002-35.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- D19 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Other
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J43 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Agricultural Labor Markets
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peake, Whitney O. & Marshall, Maria I., 2009. "Has the "Farm Problem" Disappeared? A Comparison of Household and Self-Employment Income Levels of the Farm and Nonfarm Self-Employed," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46304, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- E. Phimister & D. Roberts, 2006. "The Effect of Off-farm Work on the Intensity of Agricultural Production," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(4), pages 493-515, August.
- Gardner, Justin G. & Nelson, Carl H., 2007. "Genetically Modified Crops and Labor Savings in US Crop Production," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34919, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "Labour Adjustments In Agriculture: Evidence From Romania," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139503, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chabé-Ferret, Sylvain & Subervie, Julie, 2013.
"How much green for the buck? Estimating additional and windfall effects of French agro-environmental schemes by DID-matching,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 12-27.
- Chabé-Ferret, Sylvain & Subervie, Julie, 2012. "How Much Green for the Buck? Estimating Additional and Windfall Effects of French Agro-Environmental Schemes by DID-Matching," TSE Working Papers 12-357, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Hoveid, Oyvind & Raknerud, A., 2008. "Dynamics of income, wealth and capital in Norwegian farm household accounts: A state-space model," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44461, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Key Issues in Agricultural Labour Markets: A Review of Major Studies and Project Reports on Agriculture and Rural Labour Markets," Factor Markets Working Papers 126, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Céline Guimas, 2012. "Effect of organic contract farming on labor demand. A study case in the Western Uganda," Post-Print dumas-00802135, HAL.
- Salvioni, Cristina & Sciulli, Dario & Parodi, Giuliana, 2008. "Do Caring Services Affect Off-Farm Work? Evidence from Italy," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), June.
- Lien, Gudbrand D. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2008. "Determinants Of Part-Time Farming And Its Effect On Farm Productivity And Efficiency," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6701, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Ernest Reig-Martínez, 2005. "Calculating shadow wages for family labour in agriculture : An analysis for Spanish citrus fruit farms," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 75, pages 5-21.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Jervell-Moxnes, Anne, 2004. "Analyzing Farm Participation Decisions In Agrotourism Activities In Norway: Some Welfare Implications," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- ChabÃ©-Ferret, Sylvain & Subervie, Julie, 2012. "How Much Green for the Buck? Estimating Additional and Windfall Effects of French Agro-Environmental Schemes by DID-Matching," LERNA Working Papers 12.23.380, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Supply and Demand Side Limitations Affecting the Structure of Agriculture and the Rural Economy," Factor Markets Working Papers 124, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.