On labour productivity to deliver private and public goods –the influence of off-farm income
AbstractDifferences between part-time farmers and full-time farmers are examined both theoretically and empirically. We develop the hypotheses that capital to labour ratio, labour productivity in the provision of both private and public goods, and agri-environmental payments received are higher for part-time farmers. FADN data for Swiss dairy farms in 2004 confirm the higher capital to labour ratio as well as higher agri-environmental payments for part-time farms, albeit no differences for the labour productivity of milk production
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INRA UMR SMART in its series Working Papers SMART - LERECO with number 10-09.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex
Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO
More information through EDIRC
farm labour; off-farm income; public goods; agri-environmental payments; Switzerland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laure Latruffe & Stefan Mann, 2009. "Another look at the distribution of direct payments: The link with part-time farming," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 09-02, INRA UMR SMART.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.