Is off-farm income reforming the farm? Evidence from Mexico
AbstractDoes access to off-farm income complement or compete with agricultural production? This article explores the effect of off-farm income on agricultural production activities, using data from the 2003 Mexico National Rural Household Survey. We first discuss the theoretical conditions under which access to off-farm income may influence production in an agricultural household model. Instrumental-variable (IV) estimation methods are then used to test whether agricultural production activities, technologies, and input use differ between households with and without access to off-farm income. We find that off-farm income has a negative effect on agricultural output and the use of family labor on the farm, but a positive impact on the demand for purchased inputs. There is also a slight efficiency gain in households with access to off-farm income. Findings offer insights into how household production evolves as rural households increasingly engage in off-farm income activities. Copyright (c) 2009 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Babatunde, Raphael O. & Qaim, Matin, 2010. "Impact of Off-farm Income on Food Security and Nutrition in Nigeria," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Afri 97332, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Babatunde, Raphael O. & Qaim, Matin, 2010. "Impact of off-farm income on food security and nutrition in Nigeria," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 303-311, August.
- Hernandez, Ricardo & Reardon, Thomas & Guan, Zhengfei, 2012. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Farm Technology in Guatemala," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, International Association of Agricultural Economists 126849, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bojnec, Stefan & Ferto, Imre, 2011.
"Impact of Off-farm Income on Farm Efficiency in Slovenia,"
85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK, Agricultural Economics Society
108945, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Bojnec, Stefan & Ferto, Imre, 2011. "Impact of Off-farm Income on Farm Efficiency in Slovenia," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland, European Association of Agricultural Economists 114258, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jin-Tao Zhan & Yan-Rui Wu & Xiao-Hui Zhang & Zhang-Yue Zhou, 2012. "Why do farmers quit from grain production in China? Causes and implications," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 342-362, October.
- Kousar, Rakhshanda & Abdulai, Awudu, 2014. "Impact of non-farm work and land tenancy contracts on soil conservation measures," 88th Annual Conference, April 9-11, 2014, AgroParisTech, Paris, France, Agricultural Economics Society 170522, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Augustynska-Grzymek, Irena & Skarzyska, Aldona & Abramczuk, Lukasz, 2013. "The pluriactive development of agricultural holdings in Poland with regard to the living standards of their users," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, vol. 115(1), February.
- Alderman, Harold & Yemtsov, Ruslan, 2012. "Productive role of safety nets : background paper for the World Bank 2012-2022 social protection and labor strategy," Social Protection Discussion Papers 67609, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.