The Effect Of The New Single Farm Payment In Irrigated Agriculture: The Case Of Spain
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to provide an econometric, dynamic, multi-product and partial equilibrium model for the Spanish agriculture able to analyse the effects of the SFP and subsequent reforms in both the irrigated and non-irrigated cultivation. In the case of the EU Mediterranean countries, irrigated agriculture is very relevant because farmers in irrigated land get higher productivity and returns. However, irrigation is also the source of a number of environmental concerns, such as over-abstraction of water from subterranean aquifers, irrigation driven erosion, soil salinisation, etc.. The new decoupling direct payments from production will reduce many of the incentives to intensive production. The developed model is called Spanish Econometric Simulation of Agricultural Policies (SESAP) and it is estimated using Eurotat data from 1983 to 2004 and solved using the GAMS software for the period 2005 to 2020. Simulation results indicate that irrigated area harvested for arable crops, less environmental friendly, is expected to decrease more than non-irrigated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain with number 6590.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
CAP reform; partial equilibrium model; policy modelling; irrigated Agriculture; simulation; Agricultural and Food Policy; Land Economics/Use; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2002. "Modelling The Cap Arable Crop Regime Under Uncertainty," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19860, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tongeren, Frank van & Meijl, Hans van & Surry, Yves, 2001. "Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(2), November.
- G Philippidis & L J Hubbard, 2003. "Agenda 2000 Reform of the CAP and its Impacts on Member Member States: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 479-486.
- van Tongeren, Frank & van Meijl, Hans & Surry, Yves, 2001. "Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 149-172, November.
- Lansink, Alfons Oude & Peerlings, Jack, 1996. "Modelling the New EU Cereals and Oilseeds Regime in the Netherlands," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 161-78.
- Sean A. Cahill, 1997. "Calculating The Rate Of Decoupling For Crops Under Cap/Oilseeds Reform," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 349-378.
- Gelan, Ayele & Schwarz, Gerald, 2006. "A Policy Impact Evaluation Model For Scotland: Decoupling Single Farm Payments," MPRA Paper 1491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hild Rygnestad & Rob Fraser, 1996. "Land Heterogeneity And The Effectiveness Of Cap Set-Aside," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 255-260.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996.
"Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-20.
- Guyomard & Baudry & Carpentier, 1996. "Estimating crop supply response in the presence of farm programmes : application to the CAP," Working Papers 153134, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Binfield, Julian C.R. & Donnellan, Trevor & Hanrahan, Kevin F. & Hart, Chad E. & Westhoff, Patrick C., 2004. "CAP Reform and the WTO: Potential Impacts on EU Agriculture," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20020, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Paolo Sckokai & Jesï¿½s Antï¿½n, 2005. "The Degree of Decoupling of Area Payments for Arable Crops in the European Union," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1220-1228.
- J. Froud & D. Roberts, 1993. "The Welfare Effects Of The New Cap Cereals Regime: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 496-501.
- Hans van Meijl & Frank van Tongeren, 2002. "The Agenda 2000 CAP reform, world prices and GATT--WTO export constraints," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 445-470, December.
- R. Fraser, 1993. "Set-Aside Premiums And The May 1992 Cap Reforms," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 410-417.
- Esposti, Roberto & Lobianco, Antonello, 2005.
"Modelling the Impact of 2003 CAP Reform on Crop Production: The case of Durum Wheat in Italy,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), January.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Antonello LOBIANCO, 2005. "Modelling the Impact of 2003 CAP Reform on Crop Production. The Case of Durum Wheat in Italy," Working Papers 232, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Alexandre Gohin & Laure Latruffe, 2006. "The Luxembourg Common Agricultural Policy Reform and the European Food Industries: What's at Stake?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 175-194, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.