Trends in Australian Agriculture
AbstractTrends in Australian Agriculture, was released on 5 July 2005. The report examines some of the key trends in Australia's agriculture sector over the last 20 years or so. While continuing to grow in absolute terms, the size and importance of agriculture has declined relative to the rest of the economy. Within the sector, there have been marked changes in the number and size of Australian farms, the make-up of agricultural activities and the production and marketing strategies employed by farmers. Some of the key factors shaping these trends have been changes in consumer demands and government policies, technological advances and innovation and emerging environmental concerns. The unrelenting decline in the sector's terms of trade (that is, the ratio of prices received to prices paid) has been an important source of pressure for adaptation and change by Australian farmers. The sector has also had to respond to the continuing challenge of variations in seasonal conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Productivity Commission in its series Commission Research Papers with number 31903.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Peterson & G. Dwyer & D. Appels & J. Fry, 2005.
"Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin,"
- Peterson, Deborah C. & Dwyer, Gavan & Appels, David & Fry, Jane, 2004. "Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin," Staff Working Papers 31925, Productivity Commission.
- Peter B. Dixon & Jayant Menon,, .
"Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption,"
95/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Dixon, Peter B & Menon, Jayant, 1997. "Measures of Intra-industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 73(222), pages 233-37, September.
- Peter B. Dixon & Jayant Menon, 1995. "Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators for Factor Market Disruption," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-113, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Rosalie McLachlan & Colin Clark & Ian Monday, 2002. "Australia's service sector: a study in diversity," Development and Comp Systems 0203002, EconWPA.
- Edwards, Geoff W., 2003. "The story of deregulation in the dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), March.
- Bradley, R. & Gans, J., 1996.
"Growth in Australian Cities,"
96/13, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
- Beate Skånseng & Birger Svihus & Knut Rudi & Pål Trosvik & Birgitte Moen, 2013. "Effect of Different Feed Structures and Bedding on the Horizontal Spread of Campylobacter jejuni within Broiler Flocks," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(4), pages 741-760, October.
- Pannell, David J. & Wilkinson, Roger, 2009. "Policy mechanism choice for environmental management by non-commercial "lifestyle" rural landholders," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2679-2687, August.
- Lawes, R.A. & Kingwell, R.S., 2012. "A longitudinal examination of business performance indicators for drought-affected farms," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 94-101.
- Mullen, John & Keogh, Mick, 2013. "The Future Productivity and Competitiveness Challenge for Australian Agriculture," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152170, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Eric C. Brevik, 2013. "The Potential Impact of Climate Change on Soil Properties and Processes and Corresponding Influence on Food Security," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(3), pages 398-417, July.
- Jonathan J. Halvorson & Hero T. Gollany & Ann C. Kennedy & Ann E. Hagerman & Javier M. Gonzalez & Stewart B. Wuest, 2012. "Sorption of Tannin and Related Phenolic Compounds and Effects on Extraction of Soluble-N in Soil Amended with Several Carbon Sources," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 52-72, February.
- David D. Kitts & Stephen Tomiuk, 2013. "Studies on Mitigating Lipid Oxidation Reactions in a Value-Added Dairy Product Using a Standardized Cranberry Extract," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(2), pages 236-252, April.
- Alison M. Collins, 2013. "Advances in Ileitis Control, Diagnosis, Epidemiology and the Economic Impacts of Disease in Commercial Pig Herds," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(3), pages 536-555, September.
- Larry Stikeleather & William Morrow & Robert Meyer & Craig Baird & Burt Halbert, 2013. "Evaluation of CO 2 Application Requirements for On-Farm Mass Depopulation of Swine in a Disease Emergency," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(4), pages 599-612, September.
- Alessandra Durazzo & Elena Azzini & Maria Claudia Lazzè & Anna Raguzzini & Roberto Pizzala & Giuseppe Maiani, 2013. "Italian Wild Rocket [ Diplotaxis Tenuifolia (L.) DC.]: Influence of Agricultural Practices on Antioxidant Molecules and on Cytotoxicity and Antiproliferative Effects," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(2), pages 285-298, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.