Trends in Australian Agriculture
AbstractThis research paper examines some of the key trends in Australia’s agriculture sector over the last 20 years or so. While continuing to grow in absolute terms, the size and importance of agriculture has declined relative to the rest of the economy. Within the sector, there have been marked changes in the number and size of Australian farms, the make-up of agricultural activities and the production and marketing strategies employed by farmers. Some of the key factors shaping these trends have been changes in consumer demands and government policies, technological advances and innovation and emerging environmental concerns. The unrelenting decline in the sector’s terms of trade (that is, the ratio of prices received to prices paid) has been an important source of pressure for adaptation and change by Australian farmers. The sector has also had to respond to the continuing challenge of variations in seasonal conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Productivity Commission, Government of Australia in its series Research Papers with number 0502.
Length: 213 pages.
Date of creation: Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Australia; Research; Agricultural policy; Agriculture; Climate; Crops; Domestic markets; Employees; Employers; Employment; Exports; Farming; Free trade; Free trade Fruit; Grains; Horticulture; Imports; Industry assistance; International markets; International trade; Labour; Livestock; Land management; Meat and meat products; Multilateral agreements; Pasture; Primary industry; Productivity; Standard of living; Trade; Trade policy; Vegetables; Wholesale trade; Work organisation; Working conditions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D - Microeconomics
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter B. Dixon & Jayant Menon,, .
"Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption,"
95/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Dixon, Peter B & Menon, Jayant, 1997. "Measures of Intra-industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 73(222), pages 233-37, September.
- Peter B. Dixon & Jayant Menon, 1995. "Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators for Factor Market Disruption," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-113, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Edwards, Geoff W., 2003. "The story of deregulation in the dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), March.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005.
"Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- D. Peterson & G. Dwyer & D. Appels & J. Fry, 2005.
"Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin,"
- Peterson, Deborah C. & Dwyer, Gavan & Appels, David & Fry, Jane, 2004. "Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin," Staff Working Papers 31925, Productivity Commission.
- Bradley, R. & Gans, J., 1996.
"Growth in Australian Cities,"
96/13, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
- Geoff Edwards, 2003. "The story of deregulation in the dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), pages 75-98, 03.
- Mikhailitchenko, S. & Gfyen, D.T. & Smith, C., 2005. "Estimates of Capital Stocks for the States and Territories of Australia," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-22, March/Sep.
- Kym Anderson & Peter Lloyd & Donald MacLaren, 2007.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2007-01, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Kym Anderson & Peter Lloyd & Donald Maclaren, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(263), pages 461-482, December.
- Anderson, Kym & Lloyd, Peter & MacLaren, Donald, 2008. "Distortions to agricultural incentives in Australia since world war II," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4471, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Lloyd, Peter J & Maclaren, Donald, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," CEPR Discussion Papers 6436, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Kym & Lattimore, Ralph G. & Lloyd, Peter J. & MacLaren, Donald, 2007.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia and New Zealand,"
2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand
10407, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Anderson, Kym & Lattimore, Ralph G. & Lloyd, Peter J. & MacLaren, Donald, 2008. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia and New Zealand," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48387, World Bank.
- Mullen, John & Keogh, Mick, 2013. "The Future Productivity and Competitiveness Challenge for Australian Agriculture," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152170, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Lawes, R.A. & Kingwell, R.S., 2012. "A longitudinal examination of business performance indicators for drought-affected farms," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 94-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MAPS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.