The story of deregulation in the dairy industry
AbstractThe deregulation of dairy marketing that occurred on 1 July 2000 is a fascinating case study in microeconomic reform. The role of interacting industry and institutional features in the movement to deregulation is explained, with political realities being recognised. A key part of the deregulation bundle was an unprecedented “structural adjustment” package valued at about one and a half billion dollars (in 1998–1999). Questions are raised about the rationale for this package, the process of determining it and the means of funding it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 47 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Agribusiness; Livestock Production/Industries;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ernesto Zedillo & Patrick Messerlin & Julia Nielson, 2005. "Trade for Development. Achieving the Millennium Development Goals," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8367, Sciences Po.
- Quiggin, John, 2004.
"Looking back on microeconomic reform: a skeptical viewpoint,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
151502, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- John Quiggin, 2003. "Looking back on microeconomic reform: a skeptical viewpoint," Australian Public Policy Program Working Papers WPP03_1, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland, revised Aug 2003.
- Kevin Balcombe & Hristos Doucouliagos & Iain Fraseer, 2006.
"Input Usage, Ouput Mix and Industry Deregulation: An Analysis of the Australian Dairy Manufacturing Industry,"
2006_27, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Doucouliagos, Hristos & Fraser, Iain, 2007. "Input usage, output mix and industry deregulation: an analysis of the Australian dairy manufacturing industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Larue, Bruno & Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Pouliot, Sebastien, 2007. "Should tariff-rate quotas mimic quotas?: Implications for trade liberalization under a supply management policy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 247-261, December.
- Barichello, Richard R. & Cranfield, John A.L. & Meilke, Karl D., 2007. "Options for Supply Management in Canada with Trade Liberalization," Commissioned Papers 6124, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Harris, David N. & Rae, Allan N., 2004. "Agricultural Policy Reform and Industry Adjustment in Australia and New Zealand," IAPRAP\IATRC Summer Symposium, Adjusting to Domestic and International Agricultural Reform in Industrial Countries, June 6-7, 2004, Philadelphia, PA 15762, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Fraser, Iain & Graham, Mary, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement of Australian Dairy Farms: National and Regional Performance," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 13.
- Anonymous, 2005. "Trends in Australian Agriculture," Commission Research Papers 31903, Productivity Commission.
- Windle, Jill & Rolfe, John, 2005. "Diversification choices in agriculture: a Choice Modelling case study of sugarcane growers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), March.
- Harris, David N., 2003. "Agricultural Policy Reform and Industry Adjustment: Some Recent Experiences in Australia," Policy Reform and Adjustment Workshop, October 23-25, 2003, Imperial College London, Wye Campus 15746, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Harris, David N., 2004. "Producer adjustment to policy reform: A case study on the Australian dairy industry," 2004 Conference (48th), February 11-13, 2004, Melbourne, Australia 58456, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Productivity Commission, 2005. "Trends in Australian Agriculture," Research Papers 0502, Productivity Commission, Government of Australia.
- Graham, Mary, 2008. "Biophysical Modelling and Performance Measurement," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 6773, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.