Price Determinants in Top Quality E-Auctioned Specialty Coffees
AbstractThe US specialty coffee industry has grown from $1 billion in 1990 to $11 billion in 2006 and is expected to continue to grow into the foreseeable future. This growth particularly depends on prices coordinating the specialty coffee supply chain through two-way information exchange between roasters and producers. We analyze the determinants of specialty coffee prices by estimating a hedonic price function for specialty Central and South American coffees traded at e-auctions. We hypothesize that since specialty coffee is a differentiated product, prices will be determined by both sensory and reputation attributes. The results show that prices are influenced by the quality rating, which is a sensory variable, and by the quality rankings established in the cupping competition previous to the auction, the country of origin and the coffee variety, which are reputation variables. In addition, the macro variables, harvest year and commodity price were found to be significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 9310.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Specialty coffee; hedonic price analysis; differentiated food pricing; sensory attributes; reputation attributes; Demand and Price Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- M. Laura Donnet & Dave D. Weatherspoon & John P. Hoehn, 2008. "Price determinants in top-quality e-auctioned specialty coffees," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 267-276, 05.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1993.
"A Hedonic Price Function for Australian Premium Table Wine,"
1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia
147769, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Edward Oczkowski, 1994. "A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-110, 04.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1994. "A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(01), April.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Shapiro, Carl, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-79, November.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1981. "Choice of functional form for hedonic price equations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, July.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1999.
"Reputation and Imperfect Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
238, David K. Levine.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "The Economics of Superstars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 845-58, December.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 1997. "The Use of Quality and Reputation Indicators by Consumers: The Case of Bordeaux Wine," MPRA Paper 9283, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pierre Combris & Sebastien Lecocq & Michael Visser, 2000. "Estimation of a hedonic price equation for Burgundy wine," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 961-967.
- G¸nter Schamel & Kym Anderson, 2003. "Wine Quality and Varietal, Regional and Winery Reputations: Hedonic Prices for Australia and New Zealand," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(246), pages 357-369, 09.
- Miguel Carriquiry & Bruce A. Babcock, 2004. "Reputation, Quality Observability, and the Choice of Quality Assurance Systems," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp373, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- Teuber, Ramona & Herrmann, Roland, 2012.
"Towards a Differentiated Modelling of Origin Effects in Hedonic Analysis:An Application to Auction Prices of Specialty Coffee,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126235, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Teuber, Ramona & Herrmann, Roland, 2012. "Towards a differentiated modeling of origin effects in hedonic analysis: An application to auction prices of specialty coffee," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 732-740.
- Zhang, Huifang & Gallardo, Rosa Karina & McCluskey, Jill J. & Kupferman, Eugene M., 2010. "Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Treatment-Induced Quality Attributes in Anjou Pears," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Herrmann, Roland & Marauhn, Thilo & Teuber, Ramona, 2008. "Der Schutz geographischer Herkunftsangaben: Herausforderungen fÃ¼r agrarÃ¶konomische, rechtswissenschaftliche und interdisziplinÃ¤re Forschung," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 57(7).
- Wilson, Adam P. & Wilson, Norbert L., 2013. "The Economics of Quality in the Specialty Coffee Industry: Insights from the Cup of Excellence Auction Programs," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150721, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Teuber, Ramona, 2010. "Estimating the Demand for Sensory Quality â€“ Theoretical Considerations and an Empirical Application to Specialty Coffee," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(3).
- Satimanon, Thasanee & Weatherspoon, Dave D., 2010. "Hedonic Analysis of Sustainable Food Products," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 13(4).
- Donnet, M. Laura & Weatherspoon, Dave D. & Hoehn, John P., 2007. "What Adds Value in Specialty Coffee? Managerial Implications from Hedonic Price Analysis of Central and South American E-Auctions," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(03).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.