Regionalism And Trade In Agrifood Products
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to provide quantitative information on the degree of regionalism in raw and processed agrifood trade and the trends in regional trading patterns between 1965 and 1994. The analysis shows that world agrifood trade is currently more regionalized than it was in the second half of the 1960's and is moving towards even more regional concentration. However, for processed agrifood products, increasing regionalism is a dimension of growing openness and multilateral interdependence. Conversely, for raw products the pattern of regionalism has been significantly affected by domestic and trade policies, with welfare losses borne mainly by the European Union and other exporting regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium in its series Working Papers with number 14591.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1987.
"Measures of Openness,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
447, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Josling, Timothy E., 1993. "Agriculture In A World Of Trading Blocs," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(03), December.
- Perkins, Dwight H. & Syrquin, Moshe, 1989. "Large countries: The influence of size," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 32, pages 1691-1753 Elsevier.
- Balassa, Bela, 1974. "Trade Creation and Trade Diversion in the European Common Market: An Appraisal of the Evidence," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 42(2), pages 93-135, June.
- Meilke, Karl D. & Sarker, Rakhal, 1997. "Four case studies of agri-food CVDs and a proposal for reforming national administered protection agencies," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 147-164, December.
- Anderson, Kym & Norheim, Hege, 1993. "Is World Trade Becoming More Regionalized?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 91-109, June.
- Karl Meilke & Erna Duren, 1996. "The North American Free Trade Agreement and the Canadian Agri-Food Sector," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 44(1), pages 19-37, 03.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2002.
"Trade liberalisation and regional integration: the search for large numbers,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 1999. "Trade liberalization and regional integration: the search for large numbers," TMD discussion papers 34, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Meilke, Karl D. & Lariviere, Sylvain, 1999. "The Problems And Pitfalls In Modeling International Dairy Trade Liberalization," Working Papers 14579, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Dimitrios G. Demekas & Kasper Bartholdy & Sanjeev Gupta & Leslie Lipschitz & Thomas Mayer, 1988. "The Effects of the Common Agricultural Policy of the European Community: A Survey of the Literature," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 113-145, December.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
- Josling, Timothy E. & Honma, Masayoshi & Lee, Jaeok & MacLaren, Donald & Miner, William M. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Tangermann, Stefan & Valdes, Alberto, 1994. "The Uruguay Round Agreement On Agriculture: An Evaluation," Commissioned Papers 14621, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Carsten Kowalczyk, 1992. "Paradoxes in integration theory," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 51-59, February.
- Josling, Timothy E., 1993. "Agriculture in a World of Trading Blocs," 1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia 147398, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Valdes, Alberto, 1995. "Joining an Existing Regional Trade Agreement: Issues and Policies from the Perspective of a Small Open Economy in Latin America," 1995: Economic Integration in the Western Hemisphere Symposium, June 7-9, 1995, San Jose, Costa Rica 50807, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Marchant, Mary A. & Kumar, Sanjeev, 2004. "Demand Determinants For U.S. Processed Food Exports By Emerging/Low And Middle-Income Countries," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20276, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sampath Jayasinghe & Rakhal Sarker, 2004. "Effects of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade in Agrifood Products: Evidence from Gravity Modeling Using Disaggregated Data," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp374, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Mitura, Verna & Alhassan, Iddi & Romero, Fernando, 2003. "Canada - Mexico Agricultural Economies and Trade Under Closer North American Relations," Agriculture and Rural Working Paper Series 28047, Statistics Canada.
- Sampath Jayasinghe & Rakhal Sarker, 2004. "Effects of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade in Agrifood Products: Evidence from Gravity Modeling Using Disaggregated Data," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp374, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Meilke, Karl D. & Huff, Karen, 2001. "Trade Liberalization Under Nafta: Where From Here?," Trade Liberalization Under NAFTA: Report Card on Agriculture; Proceedings of the 6th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshop -2000 16819, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Grant, Jason H. & Lambert, Dayton M., 2005. "Regionalism in World Agricultural Trade: Lessons from Gravity Model Estimation," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19269, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.