North American Agricultural Market Integration And Its Impact On The Food And Fiber System
AbstractEconomic change and market dynamics have fundamentally altered the structure and performance of agricultural markets in the United States, Canada, and Mexico within the last 25 years. Many factors have helped shape the current North American food and fiber system, including technological change, domestic farm policies, international trade agreements, and the economic forces of supply and demand. Ratification of NAFTA, for example, helped integrate the North American market, sparking a surge in trade and investment among the United States, Canada, and Mexico. In recent years, efforts to further integrate the continental market seem to have slowed. Broadening the scope of NAFTA to include institutional reforms that lead to a more unified system of commercial law, the establishment of common antitrust and regulatory procedures, harmonization of product standards, and increased coordination of domestic farm, market, and macroeconomic policies would deepen market integration and enhance market efficiency and growth within North America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Agricultural Information Bulletins with number 33639.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
agriculture; market integration; market segmentation; law of one price; price transmission; elasticities; exchange-rate pass-through; market efficiency; bilateral trade intensity; regional trade agreements; NAFTA; CUSTA; trade policy; WTO; GATT; Industrial Organization; International Relations/Trade; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
- Arvind Panagariya, 1996. "The Free Trade Area of the Americas: Good for Latin America?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(5), pages 485-515, 09.
- Hanson, Gordon H., 1998.
"Regional adjustment to trade liberalization,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 419-444, July.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Panagariya, Arvind, 1996. "The Theory of Preferential Trade Agreements: Historical Evolution and Current Trends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 82-87, May.
- Calvin, Linda & Barrios, Veronica, 1999. "Marketing Winter Vegetables From Mexico," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(1), March.
- Li, Jau-Rong & Barrett, Christopher B., 1999. "Distinguishing Between Equilibrium And Integration In Markets Analysis," Working Papers 14607, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- H. Bruce Huff, 1997. "The Changing Role of Public Policy in Canadian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1401-1409.
- John Wainio & Linda M. Young & Karl Meilke, 2003.
"Trade Remedy Actions in NAFTA: Agriculture and Agri-Food Industries,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(7), pages 1041-1065, 07.
- Young, Linda M. & Wainio, John & Meilke, Karl D., 2004. "Trade Remedy Actions In Nafta Agriculture And Agri-Food Industries," Keeping the Borders Open; Proceedings of the 8th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshop - 2002 16935, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anderson, Kym & Norheim, Hege, 1993. "Is World Trade Becoming More Regionalized?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 91-109, June.
- C. Fred Bergsten, 1997.
Working Paper Series
WP97-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1979. "Internationally decreasing costs and world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Karl Meilke & Erna Duren, 1996. "The North American Free Trade Agreement and the Canadian Agri-Food Sector," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 44(1), pages 19-37, 03.
- Prentice, Barry E. & Wilson, William W., 1998. "Future Transportation Developments In The U.S./Canada/Mexico Grains-Livestock Subsector Under Nafta And Wto," Economic Harmonization in the Canadian\U.S.\Mexican Grain-Livestock Subsector; Proceedings of the 4th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems... 1998 16766, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- James M. MacDonald & Michael E. Ollinger, 2000. "Scale Economies and Consolidation in Hog Slaughter," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 334-346.
- Fulton, Murray E. & Gray, Richard S., 1998. "The Provision Of Rail Service: The Impact Of Competition," Trade Research Center Policy Issues Papers 29164, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- R. Moodley & William Kerr & Daniel Gordon, 2000. "Has the Canada-US trade agreement fostered price integration?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(2), pages 334-354, June.
- Young, Linda M., 2000. "Looking To The Future: Conflict Avoidance And Resolution In Nafta'S Agricultural Trade," Trade Research Center Research Discussion Papers 29250, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Karl D. Meilke & Karen Huff, 2000. "The Future of Trade Liberalization in the NAFTA Countries," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(4), pages 449-459, December.
- Fackler, Paul L. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2001. "Spatial price analysis," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 971-1024 Elsevier.
- Colin A. Carter & Neil A. Hamilton, 1989. "Wheat inputs and the law of one price," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 489-496.
- Dragan Miljkovic & Rodney J. Paul, 2001. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1087-1089.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barichello, Richard R. & Bivings, Leigh & Carter, Colin A. & Josling, Timothy E. & Lindsey, Patricia J. & McCalla, Alex F., 1991. "The Implications Of A North American Free Trade Area For Agriculture," Commissioned Papers 14619, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Marsh, John M., 1999. "U.S. Beef Trade And Price Relationships With Japan, Canada, And Mexico," Trade Research Center Policy Issues Papers 29165, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Barry E. Prentice & Zhaokun Wang & Hector J. Urbina, 1998. "Derived Demand for Refrigerated Truck Transport: A Gravity Model Analysis of Canadian Pork Exports to the United States," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 46(3), pages 317-328, November.
- Jeffrey J. Schott & Gary C. Hufbauer, 1999. "Whither the Free Trade Area of the Americas?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(6), pages 765-782, 08.
- Heman D. Lohano & Fateh M. Mari & Rajab A. Memon, 2005. "Testing Onion Market Integration in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 717-728.
- Jaramillo, Jose Luis & Yunez-Naude, Antonio & Serrano-Cote, Valeria, 2012. "Spatial Integration Of Mexico And United States In Grain Market: The Case Of Maize, Wheat And Sorghum," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126495, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Khadan, Jeetendra & Hosein, Roger, 2013. "New Empirical Insights into the “Natural Trading Partner” Hypothesis for CARICOM Countries," MPRA Paper 50493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lohano, Heman D. & Mari, Fateh M., 2012. "Measuring Spatial Integration in Tomato and Onion Markets of Pakistan: An Application of Error Correction Model in the Presence of Stationarity," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124611, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dwi Susanto & C. Parr Rosson & Flynn J Adcock, 2008. "Market integration and convergence to the law of one price in the North American onion markets," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 177-191.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.