Ex-ante Policy Assessment from an Institutional Perspective. A Procedure for Institutional Compatibility Assessment (PICA)
AbstractEx-ante impact assessment of agricultural, environmental, and rural policies has become an integral part of political decision making processes in the EU. While there is a large variety of agri-environmental modelling tools available to analyse likely social, economic, and environmental impacts of these policies, scientifically well-founded ex-ante policy assessment tools capturing institutional dimensions are still missing. In this paper, we introduce a formalised procedure for modelling – ex-ante – institutional aspects for policy implementation: the ‘Procedure for Institutional Compatibility Assessment’ (PICA). It has recently been developed within the SEAMLESS project as a component of an integrative modelling framework for ex-ante assessment of policy impacts on sustainable development. PICA is based on the assumption that the effectiveness of a policy and the cost-effectiveness of its implementation largely depend on the degree of compatibility between this policy and the institutional context in the respective countries and regions. It has been designed as an explorative and flexible, yet formalised methodology that enables policy makers to identify at an early stage potential institutional incompatibilities. After providing a brief overview of relevant approaches for policy assessment we elaborate on the four distinct steps of PICA and use a core element of the EU Nitrate Directive to illustrate its function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Institutional Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Discussion Papers with number 6112.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Philippstr. 13, 10115 Berlin
Phone: +49 (0)30 2093 6305
Fax: +49 (0)30 2093 6497
Web page: http://www.agrar.hu-berlin.de/fakultaet/departments/daoe
More information through EDIRC
Ex-ante Policy Assessment; Institutional Policy Assessment; Agricultural and Food Policy; Institutional and Behavioral Economics; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; B49; D78; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B49 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Other
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schleyer, Christian & Theesfeld, Insa & Hagedorn, Konrad & Aznar, Olivier & Callois, Jean-Marc & Verburg, Rene & Yelkouni, Martin & Olsson, Johanna Alkan, 2007. "Approach towards an operational tool to apply institutional analysis for the assessment of policy feasibility within SEAMLESS-IF," Reports 9295, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Eggers, Jorg & Laschewski, Lutz & Schleyer, Christian, 2004. "Agri-Environmental Policy in Germany: Understanding the Role of Regional Administration," Institutional Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Discussion Papers 18832, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Stavins, Robert, 2004.
Working Paper Series
rwp04-051, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Stavins, Robert N., 2004. "Environmental Economics," Working paper 276, Regulation2point0.
- Stavins, Robert, 2004. "Environmental Economics," Discussion Papers dp-04-54, Resources For the Future.
- Robert N. Stavins, 2007. "Environmental Economics," NBER Working Papers 13574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth I. Wolpin & Mark R. Rosenzweig, 2000. "Natural "Natural Experiments" in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(4), pages 827-874, December.
- Boettke, Peter J. & Coyne, Christopher J., 2005. "Methodological individualism, spontaneous order and the research program of the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 145-158, June.
- Bogale, Ayalneh & Korf, Benedikt, 2005.
"To Share or Not to Share? (Non-) Violence, Scarcity and Resource Access in Somali Region, Ethiopia,"
Institutional Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Discussion Papers
18842, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Ayalneh Bogale & Benedikt Korf, 2007. "To share or not to share? (non-)violence, scarcity and resource access in Somali Region, Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(4), pages 743-765.
- Roberta Capello & Alessia Spairani, 2004. "Ex-ante Evaluation of European ICTs Policies: Efficiency vs Cohesion Scenarios," ERSA conference papers ersa04p5, European Regional Science Association.
- Murray, Catherine, 2005. "Social Capital and Cooperation in Central and Eastern Europe: A Theoretical Perspective," Institutional Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Discussion Papers 18831, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & David Parker & Yin-Fang Zhang, 2004.
"Regulatory Impact Assessment in Developing and Transition Economies: A Survey of Current Practice,"
Public Money & Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(5), pages 291-296, October.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & David Parker & Yin-Fang Zhang, 2004. "Regulatory Impact Assessment in Developing and Transition Economies: A Survey of Current Practice," Public Money & Management, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, vol. 24(5), pages 291-296, October.
- Becker, Henk A., 2001. "Social impact assessment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 311-321, January.
- Theesfeld, Insa & Schleyer, Christian & Callois, Jean-Marc & Aznar, Olivier, 2008. "Ex-ante Policy Assessment of Agricultural, Environmental, and Rural Policies from an Institutional Perspective: The Procedure for Institutional Compatibility Assessment," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43646, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.