The Influence of Market Barriers and Farm Income Risk on Non-Farm Income Diversification
AbstractEmpirical evidence shows that non-farm income diversification is associated with higher welfare among farm households. However, most studies have ignored market barriers and farm income risk in explaining income diversification behaviour. This study develops an analytical framework that includes both market barriers and farm income risk, in addition to other factors, in explaining income diversification behaviour. The analytical framework is used to test the hypotheses that: market barriers reduce the intensity of non-farm income diversification; and farm income risk increases the intensity of non-farm income diversification. The results confirm the hypotheses, suggesting that market barriers and farm income risk are key factors in explaining income diversification behaviour of farm households. Future studies should, therefore, consider the two factors in the analysis of income diversification behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Canadian Agricultural Economics Society in its series Annual Meeting, 2010, Denver Colorado, July 25-27 with number 60915.
Date of creation: 27 Apr 2010
Date of revision:
market barriers; farm income risk; income diversification; Agricultural and Food Policy; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Food Security and Poverty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter B. R. & Reardon, Thomas, 2009. "Transforming the rural nonfarm economy: Opportunities and threats in the developing world," Issue briefs 58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Winters, Paul C. & Davis, Benjamin & Corral, Leonardo, 2001.
"Assets, Activities and Income Generation in Rural Mexico: Factoring in Social and Public Capital,"
12898, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Winters, Paul & Davis, Benjamin & Corral, Leonardo, 2002. "Assets, activities and income generation in rural Mexico: factoring in social and public capital," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 139-156, August.
- Paul Winters & Benjamin Davis & Leonardo Corral, 2002. "Assets, Activities and Income Generation in Rural Mexico: Factoring in social and public capital," Working Papers 02-05, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Joshi, P.K. & Gulati, Ashok & Birthal, Pratap S. & Tewari, Laxmi, 2003. "Agriculture diversification in South Asia," MSSD discussion papers 57, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Janvry, Alain de & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2001. "Income Strategies Among Rural Households in Mexico: The Role of Off-farm Activities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 467-480, March.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Quizon, Jaime & Sparrow, Robert, 2001. "Non-agricultural earnings in peri-urban areas of Tanzania: evidence from household survey data," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 385-403, August.
- Block, S. & Webb, P., 2001. "The dynamics of livelihood diversification in post-famine Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 333-350, August.
- Escobal, Javier, 2001. "The Determinants of Nonfarm Income Diversification in Rural Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 497-508, March.
- Abdulai, Awudu & CroleRees, Anna, 2001. "Determinants of income diversification amongst rural households in Southern Mali," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 437-452, August.
- Taylor, J. Edward & Wouterse, Fleur, 2006.
"Migration and Income Diversification Evidence from Burkina Faso,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25379, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wouterse, Fleur & Taylor, J. Edward, 2008. "Migration and Income Diversification:: Evidence from Burkina Faso," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 625-640, April.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Bezuneh, Mesfin & Aboud, Abdillahi, 2001. "Income diversification, poverty traps and policy shocks in Cote d'Ivoire and Kenya," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 367-384, August.
- Yunez-Naude, Antonio & Edward Taylor, J., 2001. "The Determinants of Nonfarm Activities and Incomes of Rural Households in Mexico, with Emphasis on Education," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 561-572, March.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Pramila Krishnan & Stefan Dercon, 1995.
"Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 1995. "Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1995-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Deininger, Klaus & Olinto, Pedro, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Income Diversification in Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 455-465, March.
- Woldenhanna, T. & Oskam, A., 2001. "Income diversification and entry barriers: evidence from the Tigray region of northern Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 351-365, August.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Bezuneh, Mesfin & Clay, Daniel C. & Reardon, Thomas, 2001. "Heterogeneous Constraints, Incentives And Income Diversification Strategies In Rural Africa," Working Papers 14761, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Canagarajah, S. & Newman, C. & Bhattamishra, R., 2001. "Non-farm income, gender, and inequality: evidence from rural Ghana and Uganda," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 405-420, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.