Agriculture diversification in South Asia
AbstractThe South Asian countries are gradually diversifying with some inter-country variation in favor of high value commodities, namely fruits, vegetables, livestock and fisheries. Agricultural diversification is strongly influenced by price policy, infrastructure development (especially markets and roads), urbanization and technological improvements. Rainfed areas have benefited more as a result of agricultural diversification in favor of high value crops by substituting inferior coarse cereals. Agricultural diversification is also contributing to employment opportunities in agriculture and increasing exports. The need is to suitably integrate production and marketing of high value commodities through appropriate institutions. Market reforms in developing and strengthening desired institutions through required legal changes would go a long way in boosting agricultural growth, augmenting income of small farm holders and promoting exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series MSSD discussion papers with number 57.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Agricultural diversification Economic aspects ; price policies ; Urbanization ; Technological innovations ; South Asia Economic conditions ; Markets Economic policy ; Agricultural growth ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Haggblade, Steven, 2003. "Successes in African agriculture," MSSD discussion papers 53, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 1998.
"Relationships and traders in Madagascar,"
MTID discussion papers
24, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Stifel, David & Minten, Bart, 2003. "Transaction costs and agricultural productivity," MSSD discussion papers 56, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Dorosh, Paul A., 2002.
"Comparative advantage in Bangladesh crop production,"
MTID discussion papers
47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Dorosh, Paul A., 2002. "Comparative advantage in Bangladesh crop production," MSSD discussion papers 47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Keil, Alwin & Saint-Macary, Camille & Zeller, Manfred, 2011. "Agricultural Commercialization in the Uplands of Northern Vietnam: How to Achieve Both Poverty Reduction and Environmental Sustainability Goals?," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114487, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/11399 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olale, Edward & Nazli, Hina, 2010. "The Influence of Market Barriers and Farm Income Risk on Non-Farm Income Diversification," Annual Meeting, 2010, Denver Colorado, July 25-27 60915, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Jha, Awadhesh K. & Tiongco, Marites & Narrod, Clare, 2008. "Improving farm-to-market linkages through contract farming: A case study of smallholder dairying in India," IFPRI discussion papers 814, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Singh, K.M. & Singh, R.K.P. & Jha, A.K. & Kumar, Anjani, 2012. "Understanding the Fodder Markets for Sustainable Development of Livestock Sector in Bihar-A Rapid Appraisal Approach," MPRA Paper 47059, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Jan 2013.
- Egziabher, Kidanemariam G. & Mathijs, Erik & Deckers, Jozef A. & Gebrehiwot, Kindeya & Bauer, Hans & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "The Economic Impact of a New Rural Extension Approach in Northern Ethiopia," Working Papers 146558, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Acharya, Saraswati Poudel & Basavaraja, H. & Kunnal, L.B. & Mahajanashetti, S.B. & Bhat, A.R.S., 2011. "Crop Diversification in Karnataka: An Economic Analysis," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 24(2).
- Ravisankar, T. & Sarada, C. & Krishnan, M., 2005. "Diversification of Fish Culture and Exports among Major Shrimp-producing Countries of Asia: A Spatial and Temporal Analysis," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 18(2).
- Rashid, Shahidur, 2004.
"Spatial integration of maize markets in post-liberalized Uganda,"
MTID discussion papers
71, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shahidur Rashid, 2004. "Spatial Integration of Maize Markets in Post-liberalised Uganda," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 102-133, March.
- Vagneron, Isabelle, 2007.
"Economic appraisal of profitability and sustainability of peri-urban agriculture in Bangkok,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 516-529, March.
- Vagneron, I., 2006. "Economic Appraisal of Profitability and Sustainability of Peri-Urban Agriculture in Bangkok," Working Papers MOISA 200614, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Ali, Jabir & Kapoor, Sanjeev, 2008. "Farmers' perception on risks in fruits and vegetables production: an empirical study of Uttar Pradesh," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2008).
- Kumar, Virender & Sharma, H.R. & Singh, Kamlesh, 2005. "Behaviour of Market Arrivals and Prices of Selected Vegetable Crops: A Study of Four Metropolitan Markets," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 18(2).
- K.N. Selvaraj, 2009. "Risk Management Strategies for Drought-Prone Rice Cultivation: A Case Study of Tamil Nadu, India," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 6(2), pages 95-124, December.
- Kakarlapudi, Kiran Kumar, 2010. "Agricultural Growth Deceleration in India: A Review of Explanations," MPRA Paper 35865, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jan 2012.
- Tobgay, S., 2006. "Agriculture Diversification in Bhutan," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25409, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Inocencio, Arlene & McCornick, Peter G., 2007. "Irrigation investments in India in the last three decades: an analysis of economic performance," IWMI Research Reports H040762, International Water Management Institute.
- Chowdhury, Shyamal & Gulati, Ashok & Gumbira-Sa'id, E., 2005. "High value products, supermarkets and vertical arrangements in Indonesia," MTID discussion papers 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Minot, Nicholas, 2003. "Income Diversification And Poverty Reduction In The Northern Uplands Of Vietnam," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22029, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Minot, Nicholas & Epprecht, Michael & Anh, Tran Thi Tram & Trung, Le Quang, 2006. "Income diversification and poverty in the Northern Uplands of Vietnam:," Research reports 145, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joshi, P.K. & Joshi, Laxmi & Birthal, Pratap Singh, 2006. "Diversification and Its Impact on Smallholders: Evidence from a Study on Vegetable Production," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 19(2).
- Rao, P. Parthasarathy & Birthal, P. S. & Joshi, P. K. & Kar, D., 2004. "Agricultural diversification in India and role of urbanization," MTID discussion papers 77, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Keil, Alwin & Saint-Macary, Camille & Zeller, Manfred, 0. "Intensive Commercial Agriculture in Fragile Uplands of Vietnam: How to Harness its Poverty Reduction Potential while Ensuring Environmental Sustainability?," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 52.
- Raghav Gaiha & Katsushi Imai, 2006. "Agricultural growth, employment and wage rates in developing countries," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0621, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.