Water Scarcity and International Agricultural Trade
AbstractAgriculture’s reliance on irrigation and concerns over water scarcity raise the question of how global food output and trade could be affected if the issue of water shortfall needs to be resolved on the back of agriculture. To understand changes in food production and international agricultural trade as the responses to local water shortage, we construct a computable general equilibrium model in which irrigation water supply reliability is perturbed. The results suggest that regions under water stress cut back food production and turn into net food importers, although domestic water productivity improves. The regions’ welfare falls, primarily due to less endowment available for agriculture and decline in the terms of trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 155248.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
CGE modeling; water scarcity; irrigated and rainfed agriculture; food security; international agricultural trade; Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy; International Relations/Trade; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy; Q25; Q17;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-08-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-08-23 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2013-08-23 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ringler, Claudia & Zhu, Tingju & Tokgoz, Simla & Bhandary, Prapti, 2012. "Water And Food In The Bioeconomy—Challenges And Opportunities For Development," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 128295, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.