Assessing the impact of crop specialization on farms’ performance in vegetables farming in Benin: a non-neutral stochastic frontier approach
AbstractA non-neutral stochastic distance function model is used to examine whether output specialization has an impact on the economic performance of vegetable producers in Benin. Specialization is assumed to have an effect on the production frontier and on the distance to the production frontier (technical inefficiency). The technology is found to exhibit diseconomies of scope, indicating that vegetable producers have an incentive for specialization. At the same time, the degree of specialization has a positive effect on technical efficiency. From a policy perspective, the findings imply that current government policies to encourage diversification may lead to a lower performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 149172.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Farm performance; Specialization; Impact; Input distance function; Non-neutral stochastic frontier; Benin; Agricultural and Food Policy; Crop Production/Industries; Farm Management; Food Security and Poverty; Production Economics; Productivity Analysis; C34; C52; Q12; Q16;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-06-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-06-04 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2008.
"Whether crop diversification is a desired strategy for agricultural growth in Bangladesh,"
82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK
36867, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2009. "Whether crop diversification is a desired strategy for agricultural growth in Bangladesh?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 340-349, August.
- Jean-Paul Chavas, 2011. "Agricultural policy in an uncertain world," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 383-407, August.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2007.
"Measuring Technical Efficiency in the Stochastic Varying Coefficient Frontier Model,"
0725, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2009. "Measuring technical efficiency in the stochastic varying coefficient frontier model," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(4), pages 389-396, 07.
- Tsekouras, Kostas D. & Pantzios, Christos J. & Karagiannis, Giannis, 2004. "Malmquist productivity index estimation with zero-value variables: The case of Greek prefectural training councils," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 95-106, May.
- Derek Byerlee & Alain de Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2009. "Agriculture for Development: Toward a New Paradigm," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 15-31, 09.
- Hajargasht, Gholamreza & Coelli, Tim & Rao, D.S. Prasada, 2008.
"A dual measure of economies of scope,"
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 185-188, August.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986.
"Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Kodde, David A. & Palm, Franz C., 1986. "Wald criteria for jointly testing equality and inequality restrictions," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5750, Maastricht University.
- Ariel Dinar & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2007. "Evaluating the impact of agricultural extension on farms' performance in Crete: a nonneutral stochastic frontier approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 135-146, 03.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2004.
"The Farm Diversification Discount,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20068, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Fahim Al-Marhubi, 2000. "Export diversification and growth: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(9), pages 559-562.
- Hung-Jen Wang, 2002.
"Heteroscedasticity and Non-Monotonic Efficiency Effects of a Stochastic Frontier Model,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 241-253, November.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2002. "Heteroscedasticity and non-monotonic efficiency effects of a stochastic frontier model," MPRA Paper 31076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sherlund, Shane M. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Adesina, Akinwumi A., 2002. "Smallholder technical efficiency controlling for environmental production conditions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 85-101, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- George E. Battese, 1997. "A Note On The Estimation Of Cobb-Douglas Production Functions When Some Explanatory Variables Have Zero Values," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 250-252.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Peter Schmidt & Antonio Alvarez & Christine Amsler, 2004.
"Interpreting and testing the scaling property in models where inefficiency depends on firm characteristics,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
520, Econometric Society.
- Antonio Alvarez & Christine Amsler & Luis Orea & Peter Schmidt, 2006. "Interpreting and Testing the Scaling Property in Models where Inefficiency Depends on Firm Characteristics," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 201-212, 06.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Gudbrand Lien & Ola Flaten & Ragnar Tveter�s, 2008. "Impacts of Norwegian Milk Quotas on Output Growth: A Modified Distance Function Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 350-369, 06.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Spiro Stefanou, 2001. "Dynamic Area Allocation and Economies of Scale and Scope," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 38-52.
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Williams, Jeffery R., 1996. "Nonparametric analysis of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiencies for food crop production in East Java, Indonesia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 113-126, November.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003.
"Diversification Economies And Specialisation Efficiencies In A Mixed Food And Coffee Smallholder Farming System In Papua New Guinea,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25841, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 2004. "Diversification economies and specialisation efficiencies in a mixed food and coffee smallholder farming system in Papua New Guinea," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 229-239, December.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.