Export diversification and growth: an empirical investigation
AbstractUsing recent theories of growth, this paper presents empirical evidence that export diversification promotes economic growth. This result is robust to different specifications of the growth equations and different measures of export diversification. In developing countries, export diversification is associated also with higher investment rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- Dierk Herzer, 2005.
"Exportdiversifizierung und Wirtschaftswachstum in Chile, Eine ökonometrische Analyse,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 225(2), pages 163-180, March.
- Dierk Herzer, 2004. "Exportdiversifizierung und Wirtschaftswachstum in Chile: eine ökonometrische Analyse," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 098, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Dalila NICET- CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2008.
"Recent exports matter: export discoveries, FDI and Growth, an empirical assessment for MENA countries,"
Cahiers du GRES
2008-17, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Dalila NICET- CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008. "Recent exports matter: export discoveries, FDI and Growth, an empirical assessment for MENA countries," Cahiers du GREThA 2008-22, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Felipe Starosta de Waldemar, 2010.
"How costly is rent-seeking to diversification : an empirical approach,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
10008, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Starosta de Waldemar, Felipe, 2010. "How costly is rent-seeking to diversification: an empirical approach," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 4, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Felipe Starosta De Waldemar, 2010. "How costly is rent-seeking to diversification : an empirical approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00461486, HAL.
- Naude, Wim & Rossouw, Riaan, 2008. "Export Diversification and Specialization in South Africa: Extent and Impact," Working Paper Series RP2008/93, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Brach, Juliane & Naudé, Wim, 2012.
"International entrepreneurship and technological capabilities in the Middle East and North Africa,"
MERIT Working Papers
020, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Brach, Juliane & Naudé, Wim, 2012. "International entrepreneurship and technological capabilities in the Middle East and North Africa," MERIT Working Papers 020, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Arip, Mohammad Affendy & Yee, Lau Sim & Abdul Karim, Bakri, 2010. "Export Diversification and Economic Growth in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 20588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amurgo-Pacheco, Alberto & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2008.
"Patterns of export diversification in developing countries : intensive and extensive margins,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4473, The World Bank.
- Alberto Amurgo-Pacheco, Martha Denisse Pierola, 2007. "Patterns of export diversification in developing countries: intensive and extensive margins," IHEID Working Papers 20-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Jul 2007.
- Dierk Herzer & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2004. "Export Diversification, Externalities and Growth," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 099, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Sandra Milena Gómez, 2009. "Trade Policy and Export Diversification: What Should Colombia Expect from the FTA with the United States," IDB Publications 9292, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Muhammad Aslam Chaudhary & Amjad Naveed, 2003. "Export Earnings, Capital Instability and Economic Growth in South Asia," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 8(1), pages 65-89, Jan-June.
- Paula Gracinda Santos & Ana Paula Ribeiro & Vitor Manuel Carvalho, 2013. "Export-led growth in Europe: Where and what to export?," FEP Working Papers 479, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Zulfiqar Bashir, 2003. "The Impacts of Economic Reforms and Trade Liberalisation on Agricultural Export Performance in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 941-960.
- Herzer, Dierk & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas, 2006. "Export Diversification, Externalities and Growth: Evidence for Chile," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 12, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Lili Wang & Yong Zhao, 2013. "Does Experience Facilitate Entry into New Export Destinations?," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 21(5), pages 36-59, 09.
- Dierk Herzer & Nowak-Lehnmann Felicitas, 2006. "What does export diversification do for growth? An econometric analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1825-1838.
- Singbo, Alphonse G. & Emvalomatis, Grigorios & Alfons, Oude Lansink, 2012. "Assessing the impact of crop specialization on farms’ performance in vegetables farming in Benin: a non-neutral stochastic frontier approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149172, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ferreira, Gustavo F.C., 2009. "From Coffee Beans to Microchips: Export Diversification and Economic Growth in Costa Rica," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 47178, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.