Spatial Pricing on Land Rental Markets
AbstractThis paper analyzes spatial competition on land rental markets. It contributes to the small body of literature that investigates the optimal spatial price policy under competition and extents previous work by considering economies of size. Because the consideration of increasing or decreasing returns of additional land and the endogenous choice of spatial pricing is analytically intractable, a computational economics approach is used to simulate spatial pricing in the presence of economies of size. This paper is a first step towards a spatial competition model of a land rental market and based on selected simulations it shows that price discrimination is likely to arise.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington with number 125349.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Industrial Organization; Land Economics/Use;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-07-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2012-07-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panos Fousekis, 2011. "Free-on-board and uniform delivery pricing strategies in a mixed duopsony," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 119-139, March.
- Marten Graubner & Ines Koller & Klaus Salhofer & Alfons Balmann, 2011. "Cooperative versus non-cooperative spatial competition for milk," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 99-118, March.
- Catherine A. Durham & Richard J. Sexton & Joo Ho Song, 1996. "Spatial Competition, Uniform Pricing, and Transportation Efficiency in the California Processing Tomato Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 115-125.
- Marten Graubner & Alfons Balmann & Richard J. Sexton, 2011. "Spatial Price Discrimination in Agricultural Product Procurement Markets: A Computational Economics Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 949-967.
- Silke Huettel & Anne Margarian, 2009. "Structural change in the West German agricultural sector," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 759-772, November.
- Mérel Pierre R & Sexton Richard J., 2010. "Kinked-Demand Equilibria and Weak Duopoly in the Hotelling Model of Horizontal Differentiation," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-34, April.
- AM Alvarez & EG Fidalgo & RJ Sexton & M Zhang, 2000. "Oligopsony power with uniform spatial pricing: theory and application to milk processing in Spain," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 347-364, September.
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J, 2001. "FOB or Uniform Delivered Prices: Strategic Choice and Welfare Effects," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 197-221, June.
- Hueth, Brent & Taylor, Christopher W., 2013. "Spatial Competition in Agricultural Markets: A Discrete-Choice Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150506, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.