Spatial Price Discrimination in Agricultural Product Procurement Markets: A Computational Economics Approach
AbstractSignificant transport costs and spatially distributed supply and processing create oligopsony power in agricultural markets. Price discrimination expressed in the form of partial or complete absorption of freight charges by processors is often observed in these environments, but we understand little about how these pricing decisions are made. Analytical approaches are often intractable. As an alternative, we propose a computational economics approach to analyze a general spatial competition model and study firms' choices of spatial pricing policy. Instead of the commonly presumed free-on-board pricing, we find that buyers choose price discrimination, either through uniform delivered pricing or through partial freight absorption. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Graubner, Marten & Balmann, Alfons, 2012. "Spatial Pricing on Land Rental Markets," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125349, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hanisch, Markus & Rommel, Jens & Mueller, Malte, 2012. "Variation In Farm Gate Milk Prices And The Cooperative Yardstick Revisited – Panel Evidence From The European Dairy Sectors," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137138, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Zavelberg, Yvonne & Wieck, Christine & Heckelei, Thomas, 2014.
"Entry deterring effects of contractual relations in the dairy processing sector,"
165088, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Zavelberg, Yvonne & Wieck, Christine & Heckelei, Thomas, 2013. "Entry deterring effects of contractual relations in the dairy processing sector," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156225, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver, 2013. "Modelling investment and disinvestment decisions under competition, uncertainty and different market interventions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 443-452.
- Graupner, Marten, 2011. "The Spatial Agent-based Competition Model (SpAbCoM)," IAMO Discussion Papers 135, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Hueth, Brent & Taylor, Christopher W., 2013. "Spatial Competition in Agricultural Markets: A Discrete-Choice Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150506, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "Policy Impact Analysis on Investments and Disinvestments under Competition: A Real Options Approach," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124294, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.