An Exploration of Product Choices in U.S. Biotech Corn Seed Market
AbstractWe investigate the market and firm-specific factors that may impact firms’ product choices in the U.S. biotech corn seed market. Specifically, we estimate how the competition effects, the conglomeration effect, the similarity effect, and other market shifters influence firms’ variety choices under imperfect competition. In addition, we examine and compare such responses among different types of firms, including integrated biotech firms versus seed companies, and the incumbent firms versus the entrant firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington with number 124758.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
variety choice; imperfect competition; biotech seeds; Crop Production/Industries; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-06-25 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2012-06-25 (Industrial Competition)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shi, Guanming & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Steigert, Kyle, 2009.
"An Analysis of the Pricing of Traits in the U.S. Corn Seed Market,"
Staff Paper Series
544, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Guanming Shi & Jean-paul Chavas & Kyle Stiegert, 2010. "An Analysis of the Pricing of Traits in the U.S. Corn Seed Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1324-1338.
- B. Curtis Eaton, 1972. "Spatial Competition Revisited," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 5(2), pages 268-78, May.
- Lisa George & Joel Waldfogel, 2000. "Who Benefits Whom in Daily Newspaper Markets?," NBER Working Papers 7944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.