Modeling Scale Economies In Supermarket Operations: Incorporating The Impacts Of Store Characteristics And Information Technologies
AbstractInformation and internet-based technologies have fostered new supply chain initiatives in food retailing but little research has evaluated productivity impacts. A ray-homothetic production function is estimated for supermarkets to investigate the productivity effects of key variables such as format, competitive position, self-distributing chain membership, unionization, and information technologies adoption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA with number 19881.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Anderson, 2002.
"The Distribution Sector and the Development Process: are there Patterns? Yes,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(2), pages 166-176, April.
- James H. Anderson & Roger R. Betancourt, 1999. "The Distribution Sector and the Development Process: Are There Patterns? Yes," Electronic Working Papers 99-007, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Martin Neil Baily & Eric Zitzewitz, 2001. "Service Sector Productivity Comparisons: Lessons for Measurement," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 419-464 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Neil Baily & Robert M. Solow, 2001. "International Productivity Comparisons Built from the Firm Level," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 151-172, Summer.
- Zellner, A & Revankar, N S, 1969. "Generalized Production Functions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(106), pages 241-50, April.
- Roger Betancourt & Margaret Malanoski, 1999. "An Estimable Model of Supermarket Behavior: Prices, Distribution Services and Some Effects of Competition," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 55-73, March.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- King, Robert P. & Jacobson, Elaine M. & Seltzer, Jonathan M., 2002. "The 2002 Supermarket Panel Annual Report," Supermarket Panel Reports 14356, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Robert P. King & Paul F. Phumpiu, 1996. "Reengineering the Food Supply Chain: The ECR Initiative in the Grocery Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1181-1186.
- Jean Kinsey, 2000. "A Faster, Leaner, Supply Chain: New Uses of Information Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1123-1129.
- repec:fth:prinin:112 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hinson, Roger A. & Sinoha, Ramona & Reaves, Dixie Watts, 2006. "Industry Concentration Impacts on Business Strategies Used by Small Produce Wholesalers," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35291, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Paulrajan Rajkumar, 2012. "‘e’ Ability of the emerging organised Indian vegetable and grocery retailers," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 15(45), pages 123-142, September.
- Mohtadi, Hamid, 2005. "The Empirics of Information Sharing in Supply Chains: The Case of the Food Industry," Working Papers 14323, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Dooley, Frank J. & Roucan, Maud & King, Robert P., 2004. "Ecr And The Importance Of Collaboration For Supermarkets," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20368, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.