Agriculture And Climate Change In The Eu: Greenhouse Gas Emissions And Abatement Costs
AbstractThis paper addresses the assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the European Union. We first estimate and compare net emissions from agricultural activities in twelve EU countries. These estimates are based on a set of farm-unit linear-programming models. We then use these models to derive marginal and total abatement costs associated with different levels of reduction targets (dual approach) and different values of carbon-equivalent emissions (primal approach). Finally, we explore the possibility of allowing afforestation on set-aside land. This paper highlights the discrepancies between countries regarding abatement costs and their sensitiveness to the accounting for carbon sequestration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL with number 20577.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Environmental Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pautsch, Gregory R. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Hurley, Terrance M. & Campbell, Todd D., 1999. "Relative Efficiency Of Sequestering Carbon In Agricultural Soils Through Second Best Market-Based Instruments," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21669, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stavins, Robert & Newell, Richard, 1999.
"Climate Change and Forest Sinks: Factors Affecting the Costs of Carbon Sequestration,"
dp-99-31-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Newell, Richard G. & Stavins, Robert N., 2000. "Climate Change and Forest Sinks: Factors Affecting the Costs of Carbon Sequestration," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 211-235, November.
- Stavins, Robert, 2000. "limate Change and Forest Sinks: Factors Affecting the Costs of Carbon Sequestration," Working Paper Series rwp00-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hongli Feng & Jinhua Zhao & Catherine L. Kling, 2000. "Carbon Sequestration in Agriculture: Value and Implementation," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp256, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Gregory R. Pautsch & Lyubov A. Kurkalova & Bruce A. Babcock & Catherine L. Kling, 2000.
"Efficiency of Sequestering Carbon in Agricultural Soils, The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
00-wp246, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Pautsch, Gregory R. & Kurkalova, Lyubov A. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Kling, Catherine L., 2001. "Efficiency of Sequestering Carbon in Agricultural Soils (The)," Staff General Research Papers 1870, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- S De Cara & P-A Jayet, 2000. "Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture: the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 281-303, September.
- Jean-Marc Burniaux, 2000. "A Multi-Gas Assessment of the Kyoto Protocol," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 270, OECD Publishing.
- Meyer-Aurich, Andreas & Truggelmann, Lothar, 2002. "Finding the optimal balance between economical and ecological demands on agriculture – research results and model calculations for a Bavarian experimental farm," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125139, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- de Cara, Stephane & Rozakis, Stelios, 2004.
"Carbon sequestration through the planting of multi-annual energy crops: A dynamic and spatial assessment,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(1), January.
- StÃ©phane De Cara & Stelios Rozakis, 2004. "Carbon sequestration through the planting of multi-annual energy crops: A dynamic and spatial assessment," Working Papers 2004/05, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Bernd Lengers & Wolfgang Britz, 2012. "The choice of emission indicators in environmental policy design: an analysis of GHG abatement in different dairy farms based on a bio-economic model approach," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 117-144.
- Carlo Giupponi & Francesco Bosello & Andrea Povellato, 2007. "A Review of Recent Studies on Cost Effectiveness of GHG Mitigation Measures in the European Agro-Forestry Sector," Working Papers 2007.14, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- StÃ©phane De Cara & Martin HouzÃ© & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2004.
"Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the EU: A spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs,"
2004/04, INRA, Economie Publique.
- de Cara, Stephane & Houze, Martin & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2004. "Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the EU: A spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs," 2004 Conference (48th), February 11-13, 2004, Melbourne, Australia 58401, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Perez Dominguez, Ignacio & Holm-Muller, Karin, 2007. "Opt-in of the agricultural sector to the European trading scheme for greenhouse gas emissions â€“ a proposal and its possible effects," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 56(8).
- de Cara, Stephane & Rozakis, Stelios, 2003. "Carbon sequestration in agricultural soils: A dynamic assessment," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21913, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Meyer-Aurich, Andreas, 2005. "Economic and environmental analysis of sustainable farming practices - a Bavarian case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 190-206, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.