The choice of emission indicators in environmental policy design: an analysis of GHG abatement in different dairy farms based on a bio-economic model approach
AbstractThe application of economic instruments to GHG emissions from dairy farms needs to rely on GHG indicators as actual emissions are impossible or extremely costly to measure. The choice of indicator impacts chosen abatement options, related costs and GHG actually emitted. A tool to quantify these relations is proposed which at its core consists of a highly detailed, mixed-integer dynamic programming model template able to cover a wide range of dairy farm characteristics and promising indicators. It allows deriving and comparing marginal abatement costs of GHGs emission for different farm types and indicators, informing the policy process about promising indicators, abatement strategies and related abatement and measurement costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00939237.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Revue d'Études en Agriculture et Environnement, 2012, 93, 2, 117-144
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00939237
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
marginal abatement costs; emission indicators; dynamic mixed integer programming; greenhouse gas emissions;
Other versions of this item:
- Bernd Lengers & Wolfgang Britz, 2012. "The choice of emission indicators in environmental policy design: an analysis of GHG abatement in different dairy farms based on a bio-economic model approach," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 117-144.
- D01 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Behavior: Underlying Principles
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q52 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Pollution Control Costs; Distributional Effects; Employment Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephane De Cara & Martin HouzÃ© & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005.
"Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from agriculture in the EU : a spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs,"
156815, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Stéphane Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005. "Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Agriculture in the EU: A Spatial Assessment of Sources and Abatement Costs," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 551-583, December.
- Vermont, Bruno & De Cara, Stéphane, 2010.
"How costly is mitigation of non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture?: A meta-analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1373-1386, May.
- Bruno Vermont & Stephane De Cara, 2010. "How costly is mitigation of non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture?: A meta-analysis," Working Papers 34004, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Huirne, R. B. M. & Dijkhuizen, A. A. & van Beek, P. & Hendriks, Th. H. B., 1993. "Stochastic dynamic programming to support sow replacement decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 161-171, June.
- Kennedy, John O. S., 1988. "Principles of dynamic optimization in resource management," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 57-72, June.
- Dominguez, Ignacio Perez & Britz, Wolfgang, 2010. "Greenhouse Gas Emission Trading In European Agriculture: A Comparison Of Different Policy Implementation Options In Year 2020," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91396, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- S De Cara & P-A Jayet, 2000.
"Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture: the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 281-303, September.
- De Cara & Jayet, 2000. "Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture : the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France," Working Papers 156214, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Osterburg, Bernhard & Nieberg, Hiltrud & Röder, Norbert & Isermeyer, Folkhard & Haenel, Hans-Dieter & Hahne, Jochen & Krentler, Jan-Gerd & Paulsen, Hans Marten & Schuchardt, Frank & Schweinle, Jörg , 2009. "Erfassung, Bewertung und Minderung von Treibhausgasemissionen des deutschen Agrar- und Ernährungssektors: Studie im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums für Ernährung, Landwirtschaft und Verbraucherschut," Arbeitsberichte aus der vTI-AgrarÃ¶konomie 03/2009, Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries.
- de Cara, Stephane & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2001. "Agriculture And Climate Change In The Eu: Greenhouse Gas Emissions And Abatement Costs," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20577, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sophie Durandeau & Benoit Gabrielle & Caroline Godard & Pierre-Alain Jayet & Christine Le Bas, 2010. "Coupling biophysical and micro-economic models to assess the effect of mitigation measures on greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture," Post-Print hal-00410001, HAL.
- Lengers, Bernd & Britz, Wolfgang & Holm-Müller, Karin, 2013. "Trade-off of feasibility against accuracy and cost efficiency in choosing indicators for the abatement of GHG-emissions in dairy farming," Discussion Papers 162877, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Kahil, Mohamed Taher & Albiac, JosÃ©, 2013. "Greenhouse gases mitigation policies in the agriculture of Aragon, Spain," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Remble, Amber & Britz, Wolfgang & Keeney, Roman, 2013. "Farm Level Tradeoffs in the Regulation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150442, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.