Fair trade coffee: building producer capacity via global networks
AbstractThis article examines the ongoing rapid expansion in Fair Trade coffee networks linking Northern consumers with producers in the global South. We provide a comparative analysis of the experiences of seven coffee producer co-operatives in Latin America, identifying the characteristics which facilitate successful integration into Fair Trade networks. Our analysis finds that coffee organizations, communities and producers derive important material and non-material benefits from Fair Trade. We conclude that while the financial benefits of Fair Trade appear the most important in the short run, it is the capacity building nature of Fair Trade that will prove the most important in fueling sustainable development in the long run. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephanie Barrientos, 2000. "Globalization and ethical trade: assessing the implications for development," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 559-570.
- Raynolds, Laura T., 2004. "The Globalization of Organic Agro-Food Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 725-743, May.
- Shannon Sutton, 2012. "Add Producers and Stir? (Re) politicizing Fairtrade participation," Working Papers 38, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Iain Davies & Bob Doherty & Simon Knox, 2010. "The Rise and Stall of a Fair Trade Pioneer: The Cafédirect Story," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 127-147, March.
- Sally Smith, 2010. "For Love or Money? Fairtrade Business Models in the UK Supermarket Sector," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 257-266, April.
- Iain Davies & Zoe Lee & Ine Ahonkhai, 2012. "Do Consumers Care About Ethical-Luxury?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 106(1), pages 37-51, March.
- Ponte, Stefano, 2008. "Greener than Thou: The Political Economy of Fish Ecolabeling and Its Local Manifestations in South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 159-175, January.
- Blackman, Allen & Rivera, Jorge, 2010.
"The Evidence Base for Environmental and Socioeconomic Impacts of “Sustainable” Certification,"
dp-10-10-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Blackman, Allen & Rivera, Jorge, 2010. "The Evidence Base for Environmental and Socioeconomic Impacts of “Sustainable” Certification," Discussion Papers dp-10-17, Resources For the Future.
- Sarah Lyon, 2007. "Fair Trade Coffee and Human Rights in Guatemala," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 241-261, September.
- Carsten Gandenberger & Heiko Garrelts & Diana Wehlau, 2011. "Assessing the Effects of Certification Networks on Sustainable Production and Consumption: The Cases of FLO and FSC," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 107-126, March.
- Raynolds, Laura T., 2009. "Mainstreaming Fair Trade Coffee: From Partnership to Traceability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1083-1093, June.
- A. Arrighetti, 2007. "Fair trade, premio di prezzo e fallimenti del mercato," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP06, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Ruben, Ruerd & Fort, Ricardo, 2012. "The Impact of Fair Trade Certification for Coffee Farmers in Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 570-582.
- Kitti, Mitri & Heikkila, Jaakko & Huhtala, Anni, 2006.
"Fair policies for the coffee trade - protecting people or biodiversity?,"
11858, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Kitti, Mitri & Heikkilä, Jaakko & Huhtala, Anni, 2009. "‘Fair’ policies for the coffee trade – protecting people or biodiversity?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 739-758, December.
- J. McMurtry, 2009. "Ethical Value-Added: Fair Trade and the Case of Café Femenino," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 86(1), pages 27-49, April.
- Biggs, Stephen & Messerschmidt, Don, 2005. "Social responsibility in the growing handmade paper industry of Nepal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1821-1843, November.
- John Cranfield & Spencer Henson & James Northey & Oliver Masakure, 2010. "An assessment of consumer preference for fair trade coffee in Toronto and Vancouver," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 307-325.
- Giovannucci, Daniele & Ponte, Stefano, 2005. "Standards as a new form of social contract? Sustainability initiatives in the coffee industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 284-301, June.
- Sylvaine Poret, 2007. "Les défis du commerce équitable dans l'hémisphère Nord," Working Papers hal-00243061, HAL.
- Ronchi, Loraine, 2006. "Fairtrade and market failures in agricultural commodity markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4011, The World Bank.
- Beuchelt, Tina & Zeller, Manfred & Oberthur, Thomas, 2009. "Justified hopes or utopian thinking? The suitability of coffee certification schemes as a business model for small-scale producers," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51717, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Elder, Sara D. & Zerriffi, Hisham & Le Billon, Philippe, 2012. "Effects of Fair Trade Certification on Social Capital: The Case of Rwandan Coffee Producers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2355-2367.
- Gwang-Suk Kim & Grace Lee & Kiwan Park, 2010. "A Cross-National Investigation on How Ethical Consumers Build Loyalty Toward Fair Trade Brands," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(4), pages 589-611, November.
- Caroline Doran, 2009. "The Role of Personal Values in Fair Trade Consumption," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 84(4), pages 549-563, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.