Do U.S. food processors respond to sweetener-related health information?
AbstractThis study examines the differential effects of relative prices and sweetener-related health information on the substitutability between sweeteners in the U.S. food processing sector. Results suggest that cane and corn sugar are gross complements, Allen complements, but Morishima substitutes. Furthermore, the Morishima elasticity of substitution (MES) is more responsive to changes in relative prices than to changes in health information. In addition, the MES for cane- and corn-based sweeteners is more responsive to health information from popular media sources than scientific and medical publications. [EconLit citations: D240, I180, Q110]. © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles B. Moss & Andrew Schmitz, 2001.
"Vertical integration and trade policy: The case of sugar,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 49-60.
- Moss, Charles B. & Schmitz, Andrew, 2000. "Vertical Integration And Trade Policy: The Case Of Sugar," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21754, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Schmitz, John D., 1991. "A Recognition Of Health And Nutrition Factors In Food Demand Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Frondel, Manuel, 2004. "Empirical assessment of energy-price policies: the case for cross-price elasticities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 989-1000, June.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-56, December.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Mika Saito, 2004.
"Armington elasticities in intermediate inputs trade: a problem in using multilateral trade data,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1097-1117, November.
- Mika Saito, 2004. "Armington Elasticities in Intermediate Inputs Trade: A Problem in Using Multilateral Trade Data," IMF Working Papers 04/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Mancino, Lisa & Kuchler, Fred & Leibtag, Ephraim, 2008. "Getting consumers to eat more whole-grains: The role of policy, information, and food manufacturers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 489-496, December.
- Beghin, John C. & Jensen, Helen H., 2008.
"Farm policies and added sugars in US diets,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 480-488, December.
- Beghin, John C. & Jensen, Helen H., 2008. "Farm Policies and Added Sugars in US Diets," Staff General Research Papers 12872, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Beghin & Helen H. Jensen, 2008. "Farm Policies and Added Sugars in US Diets," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp462, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Duffy, Martyn, 1995. "Advertising in demand systems for alcoholic drinks and tobacco: A comparative study," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 557-577, December.
- Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Jagmanaite, Evelina, 2008. "Getting rid of trans fats in the US diet: Policies, incentives and progress," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 497-503, December.
- Subhash C. Sharma, 2002. "The Morishima Elasticity of Substitution for the Variable Profit Function and the Demand for Imports in the United States," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 115-135, February.
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-68, May.
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cranfield, John A.L., 2002. "Persistence Of Price-Cost Margins In The U.S. Food And Tobacco Manufacturing Industries: A Dynamic Single Index Model Approach," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 33(02), July.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Wesley W. Wilson, 1999. "Explaining Armington: What Determines Substitutability Between Home and Foreign Goods?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Binswanger, Hans P, 1974.
"The Measurement of Technical Change Biases with Many Factors of Production,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 964-76, December.
- Binswanger, Hans P., 1973. "The Measurement Of Technical Change Biases With Many Factors Of Production," Staff Papers 14205, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Golan, Elise & Unnevehr, Laurian, 2008. "Food product composition, consumer health, and public policy: Introduction and overview of special section," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 465-469, December.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.