Sovereign Credit Risk in the Eurozone
AbstractWhat is the current state of sovereign credit risk across the Eurozone? Does the recent fiscal crisis extend to other (non-Eurozone) countries? Is Greece the centre of the problem? How did the current fiscal crisis in the Euro area start? Who is behind it? How can it evolve? How can it be addressed? And, is a fiscally challenged country likely to want to leave the Eurozone? This article addresses these questions, argues that a fiscally weak country is better off in the Eurozone than outside it, and finds that a feasible policy tool can be a bailout associated with tough fiscal conditionality. It also shows that sovereign credit risk adjustment in the Eurozone can happen, using various measures, but not without â€˜fiscal painâ€™.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, PO Box 69, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom, RG9 1GB in its journal World Economics Journal.
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haidar, Jamal Ibrahim, 2009. "Investor protections and economic growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-4, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2009.
"The mark-to-market valuation and executive pay package regulations within the 2009 US (Bailout) Emergency Economic Stabilization Act,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 189-199.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2009. "The mark-to-market valuation and executive pay package regulations within the 2009 US (Bailout) Emergency Economic Stabilization Act," Journal of Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 189-199.
- Haidar, Jamal Ibrahim, 2012. "Currency crisis transmission through international trade," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 151-157.
- Brian Sturgess, 2010. "Greek Economic Statistics: A Decade of Deceit," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, PO Box 69, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom, RG9 1GB, vol. 11(2), pages 67-100, April.
- World Bank, 2010. "Global Economic Prospects 2010 : Crisis, Finance, and Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2415.
- Daniel Daianu, 2012. "Euro Zone Crisis and EU Governance: Tackling a Flawed Design and Inadequate Policy Arrangements," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 433, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Loriana Pelizzon & Francesco Ravazzolo & Roberto Rigobon, 2012.
"Measuring Sovereign Contagion in Europe,"
0009, Centre for Applied Macro- and Petroleum economics (CAMP), BI Norwegian Business School.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Loriana Pelizzon & Francesco Ravazzolo & Roberto Rigobon, 2013. "Measuring Sovereign Contagion in Europe," NBER Working Papers 18741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Loriana Pelizzon & Francesco Ravazzolo & Roberto Rigobon, 2012. "Measuring sovereign contagion in Europe," Working Paper 2012/05, Norges Bank.
- M R Anand & G L Gupta & Ranjan Dash, 2012. "The Euro Zone Crisis and its Dimensions and Implications," Working Papers id:4764, eSocialSciences.
- Altman, Edward & Rijken, Herbert, 2012. "Toward a bottom-up approach to assessing sovereign default risk: an update," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 34, pages 19-29.
- Crise da dívida pública da Zona Euro in Wikipedia (Portuguese)
- Финансово-экономический кризис в странах Европейского Союза in Wikipedia (Russian)
- Crisis de la deuda soberana europea in Wikipedia (Spanish)
- Staatsschuldenkrise im Euroraum in Wikipedia (German)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Jones).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.