Foreign Aid, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment Nexus in Landlocked Economies of Central Asia
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between foreign aid (ODA), foreign direct investment (FDI), and their effect on domestic investment in five landlocked and emerging economies of Central Asia - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan - for the period 1992–2009. It is important for donor countries to understand whether or not their aid helps to bring in private capital essential in transition period. If it does, it creates a ground for public-private partnership that could restore conditions for economic growth in transition economies. If it does not, then it is necessary to reassess the mechanisms of aid architecture. As aggregate time series are expected to affect each other, we employ a multivariate system of seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) equations. We test the ODA-FDI link on two levels: regional and country. On the regional level, results indicate that (1) aid has a significant positive complementing effect on FDI inflows and (2) FDI complements domestic i vestment, while ODA decreases it. However, on a country level, foreign aid catalyzes FDI inflows only in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Our evidence suggests that the ODA-FDI nexus is present in countries with substantial aid inflows and dwindling economic performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Weissberg Publishing in its journal Economic Research Guardian.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Central Asia; Transition Economies; Foreign Direct Investment; Official Development Assistance; Gross Fixed Capital Formation;
Other versions of this item:
- Arazmuradov, Annageldy, 2011. "Foreign aid, foreign direct investment and domestic investment nexus in landlocked economies of Central Asia," MPRA Paper 36881, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Feb 2012.
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- P33 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - International Trade, Finance, Investment, Relations, and Aid
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010.
"Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets : a survey and meta-analysis,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Hanousek, Jan & Kocenda, Evzen & Maurel, Mathilde, 2011. "Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets: A survey and meta-analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 301-322, September.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and Indirect Effects of FDI in Emerging European Markets: A Survey and Meta-analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp976, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets : a survey and meta-analysis," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10024, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Francesco Caselli, 2007.
"The Marginal Product of Capital,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 535-568, 05.
- Francesco Caselli & James Feyrer, 2006. "The Marginal Product of Capital," CEP Discussion Papers dp0735, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Caselli, Francesco & Feyrer, James, 2005. "The Marginal Product of Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 5203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Caselli & James Feyrer, 2005. "The Marginal Product of Capital," NBER Working Papers 11551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, Andreas, 2006. "FDI inflows to the Transition Economies in Eastern Europe: Magnitude and Determinants," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 59, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Timothy D. Lane & Leslie Lipschitz & Cristina Arellano & Ales Bulir, 2005.
"The Dynamic Implications of Foreign Aid and Its Variability,"
IMF Working Papers
05/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Arellano, Cristina & Bulír, Ales & Lane, Timothy & Lipschitz, Leslie, 2009. "The dynamic implications of foreign aid and its variability," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 87-102, January.
- Severine Blaise, 2005. "On the link between Japanese ODA and FDI in China: a microeconomic evaluation using conditional logit analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 51-55.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Yi Jin & Boaz Nandwa, 2009.
"Does Foreign Aid Mitigate the Adverse Effect of Expropriation Risk on Foreign Direct Investment?,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200905, University of Kansas, Department of Economics.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth & Jin, Yi & Nandwa, Boaz, 2009. "Does foreign aid mitigate the adverse effect of expropriation risk on foreign direct investment?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 268-275, July.
- Melanie Lansbury & Nigel Pain & Katerina Smidkova, 2004.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central Europe Since 1990: An Econometric Study,"
- Melanie Lansbury & Nigel Pain & Katerina Smidkova, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central Europe Since 1990: An Econometric Study," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 156(1), pages 104-114, May.
- Mileva, Elitza, 2008. "The impact of capital flows on domestic investment in transition economies," Working Paper Series 0871, European Central Bank.
- Rumen Dobrinsky, 2007. "Capital accumulation during the transition from plan to market," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 15, pages 845-868, October.
- Yuko Kinoshita & Nauro F. Campos, 2003.
"Why Does FDI Go Where it Goes? New Evidence from the Transition Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
03/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2003. "Why Does FDI Go Where it Goes? New Evidence from the Transitional Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3984, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuko Kinoshita & Nauro F. Campos, 2003. "Why Does Fdi Go Where It Goes? New Evidence From The Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-573, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Carl-Johan Dalgaard & Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2004.
"On The Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(496), pages F191-F216, 06.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, July.
- Axel Dreher, 2002. "Does Globalization Affect Growth?," Development and Comp Systems 0210004, EconWPA, revised 04 Feb 2003.
- Richard Pomfret, 2010.
"Exploiting Energy and Mineral Resources in Central Asia, Azerbaijan and Mongolia,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2010-16, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Richard Pomfret, 2011. "Exploiting Energy and Mineral Resources in Central Asia, Azerbaijan and Mongolia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(1), pages 5-33, March.
- George Mavrotas & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2007. "Foreign Aid Heterogeneity: Issues and Agenda," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(4), pages 585-595, December.
- Kirkpatrick, Colin & Parker, David & Zhang, Yin-Fang, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment in Infrastructure in Developing Countries: Does Regulation Make a Difference?," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30703, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Bengoa, Marta & Sanchez-Robles, Blanca, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and growth: new evidence from Latin America," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 529-545, September.
- Pomfret, Richard, 2005.
"Trade policies in Central Asia after EU enlargement and before Russian WTO accession: Regionalism and integration into the world economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 32-58, March.
- Richard Pomfret, 2005. "Trade Policies in Central Asia after EU Enlargement and before Russian WTO accession: Regionalism and Integration into the world economy," Others 0502003, EconWPA.
- Richard Pomfret, 2004. "Trade Policies in Central Asia after EU Enlargement and before Russian WTO Accession: Regionalism and Integration into the World Economy," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-13, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Kalyuzhnova, Yelena & Nygaard, Christian, 2008. "State governance evolution in resource-rich transition economies: An application to Russia and Kazakhstan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1829-1842, June.
- Florence Jaumotte, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Trade Agreements: The Market Size Effect Revisited," IMF Working Papers 04/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Yelena Kalyuzhnova, 2003. "The First Decade of Economic Transition in Central Asia: An Introduction to the Symposium," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(4), pages 437-441, December.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009.
"Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22881, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kimura, Hidemi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2010. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 482-497, April.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 380, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Carro, Martha & Larrú, José María, 2010. "Flowing Together or Flowing Apart: An Analysis of the Relation between FDI and ODA Flows to Argentina and Brazil," MPRA Paper 25064, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kosack, Stephen & Tobin, Jennifer, 2006. "Funding Self-Sustaining Development: The Role of Aid, FDI and Government in Economic Success," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(01), pages 205-243, January.
- Gustavo J. Bobonis & Howard J. Shatz, 2007. "Agglomeration, Adjustment, and State Policies in the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 30-43, February.
- William Easterly, 2007. "Was Development Assistance a Mistake?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 328-332, May.
- Philipp Harms & Matthias Lutz, 2006. "Aid, Governance and Private Foreign Investment: Some Puzzling Findings for the 1990s," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(513), pages 773-790, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mihai Mutascu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.