Central Asia after Fifteen Years of Transition: Growth, Regional Cooperation, and Policy Choices
AbstractThis paper presents a coherent and systematic analysis of the collapse and subsequent revival of the Central Asian Republics (CARs) since 1990. The focus is on the pattern of growth and structural change during the cycle of decline and subsequent revival in the CARs, which have yet to be adequately analyzed in the literature on transition. The paper relates economic performance to initial conditions, country characteristics, and policies. Within this framework, it proposes a simple typology of policies (including a new 'Type III' set of policies on regional cooperation and industrial competitiveness) and relates them to the cycle of decline and revival. It goes on to examine medium-term prospects and policy needs for the CARs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration with number 3.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
growth; economic reform; regional cooperation; industrial competitiveness; Central Asia; transitional economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- N10 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - General, International, or Comparative
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Teubal, Morris, 1998. ""Market-stimulating" technology policies in developing countries: A framework with examples from East Asia," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1369-1385, August.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- Rana, Pradumna B., 1995. "Reform strategies in transitional economies: Lessons from Asia," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1157-1169, July.
- Nora Dudwick & Elizabeth Gomart & Alexandre Marc & Kathleen Kuehnast, 2003. "When Things Fall Apart : Qualitative Studies of Poverty in the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15204, August.
- Jan Svejnar, 2001.
"Transition Economies: Performances and Challenges,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
415, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Simoneti, Marko & Damijan, Joze P. & Rojec, Matija & Majcen, Boris, 2005. "Case-by-Case Versus mass privatization in transition economies: Initial owner and final seller effects on performance of firms in Slovenia," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1603-1625, October.
- Raballand, Gael & Kunth, Antoine & Auty, Richard, 2005. "Central Asia's transport cost burden and its impact on trade," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 6-31, March.
- World Bank, 2002. "Transition, The First Ten Years : Analysis and Lessons for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14042, August.
- Elena Loukoianova & Anna Unigovskaya, 2004. "Analysis of Recent Growth in Low-Income Cis Countries," IMF Working Papers 04/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Roman Mogilevsky, 2004. "Role of Multilateral and Regional Trade Disciplines: Kyrgyzstan's Experience," CASE Network Studies and Analyses, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research 0278, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Scott Rozelle & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2004. "Success and Failure of Reform: Insights from the Transition of Agriculture," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 404-456, June.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Chanthapun, Waranya Pim, 2009.
"Exchange Rate Regimes in the Asia-Pacific Region and the Global Financial Crisis,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank
36, Asian Development Bank.
- Warwick McKibbin & Waranya Pim Chanthapun, 2009. "Exchange Rate Regimes in the Asia-Pacific Region and the Global Financial Crisis," CAMA Working Papers 2009-30, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & Srijit Mishra, 2010.
"Progress in human development: Are we on the right path?,"
International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 199-221.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & Srijit Mishra, 2010. "Progress in human development: Are we on the right path?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-010, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & Srijit Mishra, 2010. "Progress in Human Development - Are we on the right path?," Development Economics Working Papers 23019, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Libman, Alexander, 2006.
"Ð’Ð·Ð°Ð¸Ð¼Ð¾Ð´ÐµÐ¹ÑÑ‚Ð²Ð¸Ðµ Ð¡Ñ‚Ñ€Ð°Ð½ Ð¡Ð½Ð³ Ð¡ ÐÐ·Ð¸Ð°Ñ‚ÑÐºÐ¸Ð¼Ð¸ Ð˜Ð½Ñ‚ÐµÐ³Ñ€Ð°Ñ†Ð¸Ð¾Ð½Ð½Ñ‹Ð¼Ð¸ Ð“Ñ€ÑƒÐ¿Ð¿Ð¸Ñ€Ð¾Ð²ÐºÐ°Ð¼Ð¸
[Interaction of the CIS countries with Asian integration projects]," MPRA Paper 16620, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madhur, Srinivasa & Wignaraja, Ganeshan & Darjes, Peter, 2009. "Roads for Asian Integration: Measuring ADB's Contribution to the Asian Highway Network," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank 37, Asian Development Bank.
- Rigg, Robert & Schou-Zibell, Lotte, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and Money Markets in Emerging Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank 38, Asian Development Bank.
- Schou-Zibell, Lotte & Madhur, Srinivasa, 2010. "Regulatory Reforms for Improving the Business Environment in Selected Asian Economies - How Monitoring and Comparative Benchmarking Can Provide Incentive for Reform," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank 40, Asian Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.