Modeling Shifts in Willingness to Pay from a Bayesian Updating Perspective
AbstractThis paper derives a structural shift empirical specification for a double-bound dichotomous choice contingent valuation methodology premised upon willingness-to-pay (WTP) shifts ensuing from a representative model of respondent Bayesian updating behavior. We demonstrate by way of data simulations that a traditional structural shift specification may often fail at estimating true WTP in this context. Further simulations demonstrate that a simple extension of the traditional structural shift model derived explicitly from our Bayesian framework can correct for much of the WTP bias, with an empirical application confirming the simulation outcomes. Finally, we investigate the relationship between strategic behavior and WTP shifts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
- Q50 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - General
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peterson, Hikaru H. & Bernard, John C. & Fox, John A. (Sean) & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2013. "Japanese Consumers' Valuation of Rice and Pork from Domestic, U.S., and Other Origins," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Marcella Veronesi & Anna Alberini & Joseph Cooper, 2011.
"Implications of Bid Design and Willingness-To-Pay Distribution for Starting Point Bias in Double-Bounded Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Surveys,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 49(2), pages 199-215, June.
- Marcella Veronesi & Anna Alberini & Joseph C. Cooper, 2005. "Detecting Starting Point Bias in Dichotomous-Choice Contingent Valuation Surveys," Working Papers 2005.119, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.