Testing Bid Design Effects in Multiple-Bounded, Contingent-Valuation Questions
AbstractMultiple-bounded, contingent-valuation questions have been proposed as an alternative to single-bounded and double-bounded questions. While the effects of bid design on multiple- bounded responses have not been explored, findings of experimental effects in single- and double-bounded questions make this a logical area of inquiry. We explore two potential experimental effects in multiple-bounded questions. Respondents may simply express welfare estimates in the center of the bid list. Also, the range of bids may systematically influence welfare estimates. We find while respondents do not center their responses, the range of bids influences welfare estimates and responses to individual bids.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andersson, Henrik & Hammitt, James & Lindberg, Gunnar & SundstrÃ¶m, Kristian, 2011.
"Willingness to Pay and Sensitivity to Time Framing: A Theoretical Analysis and an Application on Car Safety,"
LERNA Working Papers, LERNA, University of Toulouse
11.20.354, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Henrik Andersson & James Hammitt & Gunnar Lindberg & Kristian Sundström, 2013. "Willingness to Pay and Sensitivity to Time Framing: A Theoretical Analysis and an Application on Car Safety," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 56(3), pages 437-456, November.
- Andersson, Henrik & Hammitt, James & Lindberg, Gunnar & Sundström, Kristian, 2011. "Willingness to Pay and Sensitivity to Time Framing: A Theoretical Analysis and an Application on Car Safety," TSE Working Papers, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) 11-271, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- repec:reg:wpaper:209 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bhattacharya, Soma & Alberini, Anna & Cropper, Maureen L., 2006.
"The value of mortality risk reductions in Delhi, India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank
3995, The World Bank.
- Soma Bhattacharya & Anna Alberini & Maureen Cropper, 2007. "The value of mortality risk reductions in Delhi, India," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 21-47, February.
- Devkota, Nirmala & Paudel, Krishna P. & Parajuli, Shanta, 2009. "Broiler Producers’ Willingness To Pay To Manage Nutrient Pollution," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia, Southern Agricultural Economics Association 46825, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ethier, Robert G. & Poe, Gregory L. & Vossler, Christian A. & Welsh, Michael P., 2001.
"Payment Certainty in Discrete Choice Contigent Valuation Responses: Results from a Field Validity Test,"
Working Papers, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management
127668, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Christian A. Vossler & Robert G. Ethier & Gregory L. Poe & Michael P. Welsh, 2003. "Payment Certainty in Discrete Choice Contingent Valuation Responses: Results from a Field Validity Test," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 886-902, April.
- Boman, Mattias, 2009. "To pay or not to pay for biodiversity in forests - What scale determines responses to willingness to pay questions with uncertain response options?," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 79-91, January.
- Moore, Christopher C. & Holmes, Thomas P. & Bell, Kathleen P., 2011. "An attribute-based approach to contingent valuation of forest protection programs," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-52, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.