Vote Buying: General Elections
AbstractWe examine the consequences of vote buying, assuming this practice were allowed and free of stigma. Two parties compete in a binary election and may purchase votes in a sequential bidding game via up-front binding payments and/or campaign promises (platforms) that are contingent on the outcome of the election. We analyze the role of the parties' and voters' preferences in determining the winner and the payments to voters. (c) 2008 by The University of Chicago. All rights reserved..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 116 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Surajeet Chakravarty & Todd R. Kaplan, 2010.
"Vote or Shout,"
1006, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Crutzen, Benoît S.Y. & Sahuguet, Nicolas, 2009.
"Redistributive politics with distortionary taxation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 264-279, January.
- Crutzen, Benoît SY & Sahuguet, Nicolas, 2006. "Redistributive Politics with Distortionary Taxation," CEPR Discussion Papers 5975, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matias Iaryczower & Santiago Oliveros, 2013. "Power Brokers: Middlemen in Legislative Bargaining," Economics Discussion Papers 731, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Johannes Hörner & Nicolas Sahuguet, 2011. "A war of attrition with endogenous effort levels," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 1-27, May.
- Gersbach, Hans & Mühe, Felix, 2011.
"Vote-Buying And Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(05), pages 656-680, November.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Robinson, James A, 2011. "The Political Value of Land: Democratization and Land Prices in Chile," CEPR Discussion Papers 8296, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aidt, T.S. & Jensen, P.S., 2012. "From Open to Secret Ballot: Vote Buying and Modernization," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1221, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Le Breton, Michel & SudhÃ¶lter, Peter & Zaporozhets, Vera, 2012. "Sequential Legislative Lobbying," LERNA Working Papers 12.19.376, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.