A “New Trade” Theory of GATT/WTO Negotiations
AbstractI suggest a novel theory of GATT/WTO negotiations based on Krugman’s “new trade” model. It emphasizes international production relocations and is easy to calibrate to bilateral trade data. Focusing on the major players in recent GATT/WTO negotiations, I find that it implies reasonable noncooperative tariffs as well as moderate gains from GATT/WTO negotiations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 119 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Pages: 122 - 152
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michele Ruta & Anthony J. Venables, 2012.
"International Trade in Natural Resources: Practice and Policy,"
Annual Review of Resource Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 331-352, 08.
- Michele Ruta & Anthony J. Venables, 2012. "International Trade in Natural Resources: Practice and Policy," CESifo Working Paper Series 3778, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ruta, Michele & Venables, Anthony J, 2012. "International trade in natural resources: Practice and policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 8903, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michele Ruta & Anthony J venables, 2012. "International Trade in Natural Resources: Practice and policy," OxCarre Working Papers 084, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Jung, Benjamin, 2012.
"Unilateral trade liberalization in the Melitz model: A note,"
University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance
30, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung, 2012. "Unilateral Trade Liberalization in the Melitz Model: A Note," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1724-1730.
- Rahel Aichele & Gabriel J. Felbermayr, 2011. "Kyoto and Carbon Leakage: An Empirical Analysis of the Carbon Content of Bilateral Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 3661, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pascalis Raimondos-Møller & Alan D. Woodland, 2011. "Reciprocity, World Prices and Welfare," CESifo Working Paper Series 3607, CESifo Group Munich.
- John Feddersen, 2012. "Why we can't confirm the pollution haven hypothesis: A model of carbon leakage with agglomeration," Economics Series Working Papers 613, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.